mshaffer

Magnetic sensor to trip alarm?

I want to set up a camera that will record whenever a car enters the driveway. We have a lot of things that set off the motion detection, deer, birds, etc.. Is there any kind of magnetic sensor I can put in the driveway so it will only trip the alarm/record when and actualy vehicle enters? I looked on B&H and googled some and didn't see anything.

It is called a magnetic ground loop sensor. It creates a magnetic field and when the field is "warped" it activates a relay. Same tech used for intersections in the USA. Those strange squares you see in the lanes when your first or second in line at a light. They also use for scheduled control so the most popular direction stays green all night long after 11pm and will not change until you roll over it from the perpendicular direction. Maybe a little expensive to delpoy.

Second option is the $5 hose with a bolt plug on one end and a pressure switch. The vehicle runs over it, blows a puff of air against a diaphragm switch completing a circuit.

Either can be converted to wireless notification.

Third option is a better motion detector that discerns small animals vs vehicles but..... the deer maybe enough to set it off.

PM me if you need help on setup of either.

Dakota Alert has (2) receivers (3000 & 2500) that have 4 relays builtin. 2500 is long range and newer technology. Multiple sensors as mentioned above. I'm using one now to monitor the mailbox; sensor inside box, wireless to receiver, relay connected to PTZ alarm input, PTZ moves to mailbox when sensor trips AND it send us a email stating the box was just opened................mail call!

I've tried the VA6 and others and they are all if'y as compared to DA. I am starting to install just one GREAT PTZ in a GREAT location and then support the PTZ presets via sensors. Only isse I have it how to extend the receivers internal antenna outside of a metal enclosure. I ordered some 433Mhz antenna's and cable and will void the warranty...............I spoke with DA and they don't have a extendable antenna for these models yet. They have it for the MURS but the model only has one relay.

I think there are may some other way you may consider for taking into account. One is install a RFID reader at entrance of driver way and when reader perceive RFID tag on car it will triggering the DVR/NVR to snapshoot. Or two Active PIR BEAM sensor at entrance when you car is break through IR Prism the device also triggering the recording device.