Sign in to follow this  
CaptainCuddles

Recommend camera (Wifi, 1-2 cameras) - Thanks!

Thanks to those that helped in a previous thread.

I have another situation where I'd truly like to hook up 1 or 2 WiFi cams. Hoping someone can recommend some good cameras.

- They do not need to be continuously recorded.

- They need to notify (FTP/SMTP options, for instance) on detected movement.

- Recording on movement would be a plus.

- If there's a mobile app that can record the live feed from the camera, saving it on the mobile device, that is what is desired.

- Some degree of night vision

- Must be able to sit on a tabletop and plug into a regular outlet! No other wiring!

I believe the ol' foscam 8910ws do this stuff (not sure about the Mobile App thing), but of course, quality and reliability is an issue. Willing to pay more for the cameras to get the quality and reliability needed.

Suggestions?

Wifi reliable... wifi quality. There's a reason why ethernet has stayed the same while wifi adds more letters to its standard every year. Wifi sucks, but if you must...

Two $30-$50 android phones + ip cam app + plug in IR:

http://dx.com/en/p/ir-48-led-infrared-illumination-light-for-night-vision-dc-12v-500ma-15235

.3MP to 2.1MP video in that price range. (5MP or higher stills)

Local storage

email/sms

motion detection

You could even skip the IR lights if the flash is good enough and this doesn't have to be discreet (pet watching, etc).

2 way audio

There's these two, one being dahua and the other being Hikvision. Wi-fi is a odd bird though and as much as it's meant for convenience, it can make an otherwise stable wireless network glitchy. Buy only from a good retailer in case you need to return them. Wi-fi is always a crap shoot.

Q-see carries the dahua version, although other online retailers carry it as well-

twKrtDCoLMs

This is the Hikvision-

TH2tLzwslCc

Both good responses... neat concept on the sort of cobbled-together android setup.

I'll certainly check out those cameras, too. A quick glace at the Q-See has some pretty poor reviews, but I hear good things about the Hikvision. I like that there's a 1.3MP version... could save some money over the 3MP version. (If I can actually find one to buy...)

Ok I call uncle. Is there a place to get those Hikvision cameras in the US, so I can have return/warranty options if there's a problem? I have not been able to find one.

$170 aliexpress -- wholesale Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP w/POE IP Camera network camera Built-in microphone DWDR & 3D DNR & BLC Wi-Fi

Aliexpress or gray market is your only bet (the normal sites recommended here are gray market). Great IP cameras are on the precipice of becoming affordable but you're limited to bullets, domes, and turrets for the time being--all wired PoE.

That is why I recommended android setup. It's wifi and does everything you want. In 1-2 years it will become *the* preferred home IP setup vs foscam.

$30-$50:

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/PhonesandMore/Phones/Android/detail/ALCATEL_ONE_TOUCH_Fierce/610214634436

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/PhonesandMore/Phones/4G/detail/LG_Optimus_L9%E2%84%A2/610214632647

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/PhonesandMore/Phones/Alcatel/detail/ALCATEL_ONE_TOUCH_Evolve/610214634283

drocer, what makes you say it will be preferred?

Have you used those phones? Never even heard of Alcatel.

So, you would buy one of those illuminators, and plug in both devices, and prop them up somewhere side by side? And then find a special app for the phone that does all of the functions? (Recording, motion detection, emailing, etc)

And is there an easy way to turn them on & off? I was thinking with a camera that I could cut the power to them when I wanted them off (with just a little remote light switch thing), but with a phone, they'll be battery-based.

The price alone. I haven't used those phones. I just posted them as an example. Android smartphones are just tiny computers; when you add 720p-1080p video or up to 16MP cameras, they become great IP cameras. Dedicated IP cameras will always exist but if you can find a $20 android phone that does 1080p that's "good enough" why bother with more expensive for just home usage? The only problem is night vision and powering them.

I'll be honest. I'm just providing the idea not the tech support to set it up. If you have an android phone, you can easily experiment with free IP webcam apps (some are up to $5). Just search for IP webcam.

1. Android
  2. Foscam
  3. ~$170 or more on aliexpress for non-"crap" wifi IP camera

Wifi sucks, I do agree with that !!!

Moreover, don't think that "WIFI" means "no wire".

Power will be supplied for a long time through wires...

So you have 2 reasons to stay with Ethernet :

1. as many cable as wifi (PoE so 1 cable for both network and power, on WIFI cams 1 cable for power)
  2. maximum reliability !

But the choice is up to you...