cinders

Recommend alternative brand to ACTi

Hi There,

We've been using ACTi cameras for our cam website and the image quality has been outstanding, especially for our outdoor landscape view cameras.

I wanted to use the ACTi E34 for a new outdoor cam due to its Superior WDR (107 dB) feature, but we can't source this cam in Thailand.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives? Do HIKVISION come anywhere near the same standard/quality?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

"...We've been using ACTi cameras for our cam website and the image quality has been outstanding...

I would respectfully suggest that the perception of "outstanding" is relative to ones breadth of experience. For example, I believed my 5MP Axis E33 was outstanding, until I purchased a 3MP Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I. I am now unsatisfied with the E33's performance and I wish I'd purchased two DS-2CD2032-I cameras instead of one E33. Unfortunately my funds are limited and, as a result, my breadth of experience is somewhat limited.

Acti has been trying but they seem to miss out on manufacturing a decent inexpensive camera. ie. Demo'd the E96 & E97 and the specs make you say WOW until you see the dull picture from they. And to make it worse, there is no settings available in the cams to improve it. By dull, I mean the pic is lacking color & depth. If I compared it to a Dahua 1.3mp cam Acti looks like crap.

But, Acti's 360 cams are pretty good but expensive.

Overall, Acti have had one issue that I really can't control. AE seems to be on auto-pilot and it never settles into one setting. ie. pic goes from dark to light in a 30 second cycle pattern, which sets off the motion recordings. This is indoor and outdoor, models ACM-4201, TCM-4201, ACM-7411....older models. Newer models seem to have been fixed but they are selling a HIGH spec camera with crappy pics now so I'm not going to demo any more Acti's since I can get Dahua off-brand for less than Acti's Demo NFR pricing and get a better cam.

Cams always change no matter who manufactures & sells them. Seems like they become Great and then slip into ROI madness.

See if you can get the E77, has a great daytime picture, 2-way audio, alarm i-o and is price pretty low. Has basic WDR. Side by side during the day, it's as good or better than my E32, at night it's not that good so I would recommend a location with good light. E33 is comparable to the E77, but double the pixels.

ACTi are allowing them self to fall behind

Basic ip cameras while others have moved on with camera extras

Auto focus / Eptz / pip / long range IR

Have been on lots or other brands for a while

I actually have 2 DS-2CD2032-I here spare. I just installed 3 at a new house and the indoor quality is great - I never thought to try them outside. I Will give them a try and and report back.

I was really amazed by the quality of the ACTi camera, but then again, I was going from Ubiquiti AirCams to ACTi

This is our ACTI KCM5511 Outdoor Cam:

http://www.samuiwebcam.com/jungle_club_koh_samui.html

This is our ACTi E33 Outdoor Cam:

http://www.samuiwebcam.com/crystal_bay_koh_samui.html

This is our ACTi E31 Outdoor Cam:

http://www.samuiwebcam.com/vikasa_yoga_koh_samui.html

This is an ACTi D31 Outdoor Cam (indoors):

http://www.samuiwebcam.com/starz_cabaret_koh_samui.html

The rest of the cams on the site are Ubiquiti AirCams. I will swap these out one by one when I have the time and money to do it.

Thanks for the replies,

Cinders.