CMServices

SO Many Different Brands

With so many cctv brands, how many brand does an avg. reseller and or wholesale have to carry to make a profit? I have seen alot of companies only market one oem brand and do very well and other companys market 10 brand and shut down. I know this question is very open ended. but any feed back would be great

problem is that some get too big and they forget who writes the checks.......all they want is profit. smaller companies do well with one line becasue they can focus on selling and supporting. once a company starts to get bigger they all seem to slip on support and that eventually is the begining of the end.

Its definitely not easy trying to support 100 or so brands. You don't have to know everything about all the products you carry..thats what spec sheets and tech support are for. Research will teach you alot as well as word of mouth. I have learned alot from this forum on things you wouldn't even have thought of.

NO. I say that a wholesaler should just stick to that, a wholesaler. Reason is the following:

A customer from let's say, your area, Boston calls asking about a particular product, instead of passing the customer to you, I go and make the sale, how would you like it?

I distribute a lot of equipment, but I do it overseas, Latin America to be exact. But I don't do it here in the US, it's just not ethical.

The more products they carry, the less able they will be to properly support all of those products.

From the distributer point of view selling to an end user at all is bad for business. First of all end users are calling all the time for support and they only buy once so you better make 50 points or better. Worse then that is you are taking business away for your dealer installers. I get leads from manufactures sometimes that are end users and I pass them along to dealer/installer in the area.

Well most of us little guys will pick who we want to market to. BUT we all know that there are some CCTV/Spy Stores that will sale to anyone

If you are first starting out and find end users looking to buy cctv it is a good way to get into the good graces of the dealer installer world by refering them a new customer but then again you do whatcha gota do to get goin