Sign in to follow this  
pd_

Upgrading 16ch analog system to IP at warehouse

My buddy's warehouse is currently using 16ch analog system that he wants to upgrade to IP b/c of the better image quality. He asked me to help him upgrade it since I'm going to be helping him redo the network in place now. Did some research on here but just want to make sure I am understanding everything. I have done a 4ch cctv install for my business and it the dvr setup on that was tricky, but I figured it out.

Now, budget is around 6-8k upwards to 10k if it's needed but hoping to stay around 6-8k or lower. Probably around 6 cameras outside and the rest inside. The system in place now has wires already ran to the cameras but I'm assuming if I go with IP cameras, it's easier to go with POE cameras? So basically, buy 16 POE cameras, an unmanaged 16 or 24port POE switch, and build a PC to install software. Since the analog camera's wires will no longer be used, I'll be running cat5e cables out to power the cameras.

For the PC, does the the CPU performance matter? I know i need lots of storage space, probably 20TB if he wants to save 30days worth at 15fps 3MP

Thinking about getting these since daytime image quality seems really good and decent enough night time: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Outdoor HD 3MP IP Bullet Security Camera

As for software, looks like the Avigilon seems like it's a good choice (or maybe milestone since the interface looks user friendly). How about the bandwidth for live view when he's at home or traveling? Not sure how much bandwidth it uses. I think his internet speed is 50mbps down and 6mbps up (or does that not even matter)?!

Sorry, kind of a newb when it comes to CCTV but doesn't look like its something hard to setup. Not a complex build. Any suggestions or comments welcomed

Hi Pd_

Are they RG59 coax cable? If megapixel image is all he wants, consider a HD-SDI system which uses coax cables. If the cables are under 300 ft, you can just replace hardware and bring HD image to your friend and use the same cables. If its over 300 ft, they have HD-SDI extenders but i think they require power.

There are some disadvantage to IP though but not that much

-2.1 mp is the current limit

-requires expensive HD-SDI DVR to record the image, but cameras are generally cheaper than IP

-no duplex communications with camera (camera does not have web server like IP camera does, and any camera setting has to be changed through the OSD button on the camera)

-HD SDI PTZ requires separate RS 485 cable

-cameras cannot be paired with radios for wireless transmission

but for your application, the advantage should outweigh the disadvantage

-use existing coaxial cables (probably main advantage)

-plug and play, no IP address to mess around except for DVR, great for CCTV starters

-Live view is amazing, as the images are uncompressed when they are sent from the camera to DVR and to your HDTV (good if your buddy likes to look at the live image at his office) you will always view it at the machine at 30 FPS, even if you just record at 10 FPS, and nearly zero lag fluid motion.

But if you are an installer and needs to make money by running new cables, go with the setup you have, most IP camera are POE capable. I wouldn't get that model, get the one with EX-IR for better night image.

For remote viewing, it will be dependent on his upload speed, 6Mbps should be ok if he doesn't remotely view all the cameras at once on Main Stream. If your friend is not tech savy, consider getting a standalone NVR that can do 16 ch IP.

+1 on milkisbad's recommendation. You don't need 20tb of storage unless you are recording 24/7 with no motion detection...you might consider vandal proof domes instead of bullets depending on the application...

Hi Pd_

Are they RG59 coax cable? If megapixel image is all he wants, consider a HD-SDI system which uses coax cables. If the cables are under 300 ft, you can just replace hardware and bring HD image to your friend and use the same cables. If its over 300 ft, they have HD-SDI extenders but i think they require power.

There are some disadvantage to IP though but not that much

-2.1 mp is the current limit

-requires expensive HD-SDI DVR to record the image, but cameras are generally cheaper than IP

-no duplex communications with camera (camera does not have web server like IP camera does, and any camera setting has to be changed through the OSD button on the camera)

-HD SDI PTZ requires separate RS 485 cable

-cameras cannot be paired with radios for wireless transmission

but for your application, the advantage should outweigh the disadvantage

-use existing coaxial cables (probably main advantage)

-plug and play, no IP address to mess around except for DVR, great for CCTV starters

-Live view is amazing, as the images are uncompressed when they are sent from the camera to DVR and to your HDTV (good if your buddy likes to look at the live image at his office) you will always view it at the machine at 30 FPS, even if you just record at 10 FPS, and nearly zero lag fluid motion.

But if you are an installer and needs to make money by running new cables, go with the setup you have, most IP camera are POE capable. I wouldn't get that model, get the one with EX-IR for better night image.

For remote viewing, it will be dependent on his upload speed, 6Mbps should be ok if he doesn't remotely view all the cameras at once on Main Stream. If your friend is not tech savy, consider getting a standalone NVR that can do 16 ch IP.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the HD-SDI system and see if that's what he wants. Seems like he's wanting to leans towards the IP setup and running the cables doesn't seem that bad right from what I saw.