Sign in to follow this  
MCMETRIC

Audio and Video Recording Together

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some advice. Our company currently has a super high quality audio recording system, as well as a HD video recording system for our boardroom. We currently have an issue where the recorded audio is not as good as the live audio feed. This is due to the inability of the recorder to receive input from the high quality microphone that captures the live sound. Our current system uses:

Panasonic WV-sf336e IP (cameras x 3)

Panasonic WJ-NV200K (NVR)

One of our cameras currently records the low quality audio, but we want to be able to record directly from the high-quality microphone. Working with our sound engineer, we understand that a new recording unit (NVR) could make it possible to receive input from the installed microphone, and record this quality sound with the video. This would require RCA inputs as we understand it, which the current Panasonic unit does not have.

We’re looking to have the same high quality in both our live feed and recording, and would also ideally like the new recorder to have the option of remote viewing for our clients.

I have found the following unit which looks like it might be suitable, but I was wondering whether it would be compatible, or if there were some better units out there.

http://www.shopsecurity2u.com.au/swann-16-channel-hd-nvr-security-system.html

Can anyone help?

Would you be able to recommend a recording unit, or help us in this matter in any way? The unit would need to be compatible obviously with the cameras, and have cat5e connection as well.

Kind regards,

^ You can try that, but in my experience surveillance audio is just plain lowfi. Even if you can get a quality mic in the chain through the camera, you still deal with sync latency between picture and sound. Nvr's have two way audio via rca but that audio doesn't get recorded. Audio must be passed through an audio capable camera, and that's when latency issues can arise. If you're looking for quality picture and sound together, surveillance gear isn't the way to go. A dedicated video camera is. For remote convenience sake, an nvr with two way audio can be better than an audio camera in that the sync latency is diminished, but it's still lowfi and it doesn't get recorded. So it's a compromise. Use the surveillance gear for what it does best, but use a video camera with an external mic input for top quality audio/picture.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the great responses.

shockwave199 -

Nvr's have two way audio via rca but that audio doesn't get recorded. Audio must be passed through an audio capable camera

What is the two way audio via RCA for if it doesn't record sound?

Are there any audio-capable cameras that have high-quality mics?

Essentially for our required purposes, we can't use a separate video camera, and have already installed the Panasonic WV-SF336's, as well as a Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P. We ideally don't want to spend money on an entirely new system.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Two way audio is for actual back and forth talking, but that signal doesn't get recorded. Unlike analog Dvr's, nvr's can only encode sound to picture through an audio capable camera. As far as good, better, best, I've only had experience with dahua and it's great for surveillance purposes, but not for top quality hi-fi sound.