Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Roberts

Noob question: kinda confused.

I've been wanting to install a surveillance system for my house. I checked out the AvertX 8-camera 1080p system at Costco. I also asked the people at a local home security monitoring service, seems like they're pushing me to get their analog cameras (700-1000 TVL). They told me that there's no advantage to getting the digital system. Please help me decide. Are IP camera systems just plain better than analog systems? Or are there specific scenarios where analog is better? Thanks,

I'm OK with doing the install, fairly competent with computer networking stuff. I just want to be sure that my criteria are met:

[1] Ease of remote viewing via my tablet and smart phone.

[2] Quality of the video that is recorded.

[3] Quality of the video that is viewed remotely.

I guess another way of phrasing my question is "Why are analog camera systems still being sold?", is it because digital systems are "overkill"? Digital costs more than analog, I assume. From a video quality point of view, is digital better than analog?

Thanks,

These days, either IP camera or (Analog camera + DVR) can pass over the your criterion very easily. It is up to you. But when you buy IP camera, you may need to make sub-stream to be also sent over the network and main stream for recording.

In other words although locally you are recording very strong video images, unless you want to bring the internet to a halt or to wait forever, the sub stream is sent at no better resolution than analogue might send because the practicality is that there isn't the bandwidth available now or in the foreseeable future to remotely view streamed HD images. These are better sent as a file and opened at the receiving end losing that virtual realtime benefit. This is whay recording is done locally rather than across your network.

HD systems are better than analog. For a new install you definitely want to install an IP/megapixel system. The install will be easier too. Not much has been said or reviewed on the avertx systems. They may be great, but it's not easy to know. If you're at Costco, consider Swann. You'll have a lot more people here in the know about Swann systems and they are reported to be good systems. If you're fine with doing the installation yourself, say bye to the place that wants to sell you their analog system. Analog can work, but you're much better off with HD right from the start.

So if I'm viewing via my phone, the sub stream should be good enough, because the screen size is small, there's no need for high resolution, correct?

Thats the idea...

SDI is an acronym for Serial Digital Interface i.e analogue methods transmitting a digital signal I think...

Btw, some systems are classified as SDI, what does that mean?

With SDI, mega pixels of raw video data from your HD Camera can be transferred to your DVR, where compression(Main and SubStream) & recording is done. If the DVR is connected to Network, you can see the video from remote. SDI interface was in origin, designed for broad casting studios, but being also used for HD -CCTV.

On the other hand, IP camera compresses pixels of raw video data then send the compressed bit stream over network LAN cable to NVR or video server, where being stored to HDD, and decompression & displaying is done, when needed.