robzee67

To IP or not IP..that is the question...

jeromephone I am not sure what IP Systems you have installed but IP systems require less wiring,broadband width can be an issue with multiple high res cameras but camera pricing depends on what you buy and where you are buying them. There are cheap IP cameras just like there are cheap cctv cameras. Also if you are running a PC DVR the network going down could be an issue there as welland the last time I checked hard drives are hard drives, the only thing that makes them cost more is the make and model. If you have a well designed system it doesn't matter what goes down(except maybe the building) your security system will still be in operation. To me the main issue with IP systems is there is alot more complex pieces of equipment that can fail Correct me if I am wrong on any of this because I am definitely not the master of IP or CCTV I just design and sell security systems for a living.

I've never liked the less wiring arguement. Unless you had the foresight to prewire rather high up on the wall, then you're going to have to pull some cable. And if you have to pull cable anyway......

There extra letters on your "analog"

Is powering a camera with solor that feasible, or were you just joking?

LOL Rory- enough said

Airick- yes it's feasible, all of our cameras are solar powered. It's also more reliable-- impervious to power outages

Of course.

You have to think of solar panels as you would a cars alternator. Your car runs off your battery source, and your battery gets charged through the alternator. Same thing with solar, only replace the alternator with solar panels.

Haha, true true. In most cases, you're right. Unless you are going to be moving your security from place to place, have a SUPER long run or just don't have a choice, then running wires is cheaper. You have to admit tho, it takes the cool factor down a few notches.

I know wireless isn't to bad on the pocket book but I have looked into some solar and its outrageous!!! Extreme turned me onto the company they use for the ex82 solar/wireless unit and just filling out the application questionare took a couple of hours and the cost was high.

Solar isn't too bad cost wise-- as long as you run equipment that isn't power hungry. The trick is finding equipment that is low on power consumption so that you can minimize solar cost. Just a little homework, that's all.

I have looked into Extreme's solar that is on their website. I wonder how they get by with the solar equipment that they show and the power consumption they state on their equipment.