Cam_Guy

Security Camera Quality Issues

Hey Guys,

I'm no Video expert but I have been given the task at work trying to enhance some video that we have of some theft.

I have tried to enhance the video to get a reading on the license plate letters, but I have had no luck.

I think it is the equipment we are using, I don't think we are getting quality recordings, but i would like to have your advise.

Here is a list of what we are using and the current settings:

DVR

Samsung SRD-870DC

Settings:

4CIF(L) = resolution

30 fps = record rate

Level 9 (very high) = record quality

Camera

Northern CB650VF Outdoor Bullet Camera

2.8-12mm Lens

650 Horizontal TV Lines

I don't know if this equipment is good enough to capture vehicles going by say around 10-15 MPH. Well I shouldn't say capture the vehicle, because I can

see the vehicle, I just can't zoom up enough to see the license plate letters. The quality is badly distorted when i try to zoom up to the license plate.

If this Camera & DVR combination is not recommended for this type of security. Can you help me to recommend a good quality camera & DVR for zooming up to capture

license plates I have done some searching on the internet and have seen some (Provision ISR cameras & DVR) that look good.

Anyway I would appreciate your help and advise

Thanks

If you want to capture plates consistently and reliably in day or night, use a Bosch LPR camera. They have been in the LPR business for years.

Bosch REG-X-816-XE

approx. $600

http://resource.boschsecurity.com/documents/Data_sheet_enUS_1732568587.pdf

Bosch VLR-4075-V521

approx. $500

http://resource.boschsecurity.com/documents/VLR_2075_Data_sheet_enUS_11271030539.pdf

A choking point is required to slow the vehicle to 50mph or less.

The LPR camera should be mounted no more than 5 feet above the ground (lower the better), face the licence plate directly, and be around 20 feet away.

You will also still require a colour overview camera to capture other details such as make, model, color etc.

Those bosch LPR cameras are analog cameras with bnc connectors and are totally compatible with your DVR.

Do a search on this forum "LPR" for tons of research and reading.

Here's a link to recent great covert LPR project by member bobbyb...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39936