redspc3312

New SDI camera system has weird "ghosting" effect

So I just had 5 new SDI dome cameras (The DVR is Model HDDVR0804-SDI) set up in a small play testing room. Most of the footage I'm recording is of kids running around the room while they try out new games/toys. The problem is, that when the kids are moving around a lot, parts of there body will literally vanish especially in the leg and stomach areas. The technical service people I've been talking with have no idea what's causing this. I've tried different shutter speeds so I know it's not that. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I don't know much about SDI camera settings. Is there an i-frame setting in the encode menu? I've often read that setting should be half that of the fps you have set and if not, that problem you describe can happen. But that's megapixel cameras. Not sure it applies to SDI cameras. Also try CBR instead of VBR. And if you have the ability to have different frame rates for regular and motion recording, in other words low fps for regular recording and then fps ramp up higher with motion, try keeping the frame rates the same for both. Setting wise, that's all I can think of.

redspc,

Do you observe the same artifacts when you watch in real time live view, not playback from recorded files?

How long from the HD-SDI camera to your DVR?

Was it good, OK at the time of installation?

I mean that the system starts getting the trouble recently?

SunnyKim - The cameras are less than 50 feet from the DVR. The system was installed a little over a month ago and we've had this problem from the very beginning.

Sometimes the function 'shockwave199' mentioned is called 'key frame' or 'GOP' or 'Group of Pictures', but same here- I'm not sure if applies to HD-SDI. Keyframe is associated with h.264 encoding, I would guess the DVR compresses the SDI stream using h.264....but I have never seen this setting cause the artifacts you describe. Can you post a screenshot?

It's odd because cdi is always touted as uncompressed smooth real time viewing. Other than poor cables, I can only figure there's equipment problems. And you should definitely get customer service in on it.