kandcorp

OIL FILLED PC!!

Me too.

I have to learn how to do this over clocking without burning anything up.

A lot of people are able to significantly get performance gains by doing so.

No new news here, just have been reading about the number of people doing it and the terrific results they are getting.

I can bump up my 2.53 P4 to 3.02Ghz for $50 due to a sale, but it’s probably not worth cracking open the case for that much of a boost.

Tweaking the software too you mean removing it.

I want to keep my software. I just want enough power to do several demanding tasks at once. Watch TV, Encode video, software firewall, Anti Virus and Speech Recognition to name a few.

I don't think tweaking is going to be enough. But I might be able to free up some CPU cycles which can help.

I have a whole .53Ghz more than you do. Yours is AMD though so don't know how that really compares to my P4?

I want more power so I don't have to wait so long for encodes and speech recognition software to keep up with me. In addition to so many other things I do on my computer.

I should probably do a clean install at this point.

I wish that was the case for me, but I have 1GB memory already. That RAMBUS type that didn't stay popular very long.

I can get a 3.06Ghz CPU for $50. You think it is work the extra power?

If it will work with my BIOS? Socket 478 Chip.

Rory, try running a TV tuner card, watch tv, encode video and use speech recognition software and your system will crawl. And that doesn't event count the Word Processing document I have open, my email, my downloading and a whole bunch of different stuff I do during the course of a day.

Not voice recognition. This computer can barely keep up with me when dictating.

And video editing and encoding on those machines were an all night thing.

Not anymore.

Maybe I should try the $50 upgrade to the 3.06 chip and try and wait for the new M2 socket CPU' AMD will be coming out with. Don't think I am going to make it though. I have had this system since May 2002. That is the longest I have ever had a computer without upgrading.

I'm getting CPU power withdrawl symptoms.

format ..

Load Windows ME and you'll be like you're flying a space rocket ..

Load Windows 95 and you wouldnt be able to keep up with the mouse ..

Hey I thought we were friends.

I wouldn't wish Windows ME on my worst enemy. They shouldn't have even bothered with that version.

XP has been the best yet. I saw a lot of Blue Screens of Death under Windows 95.

I have an old version of DOS if you want ultimate speed. No Mouse, but you can type fast anyway.

I think a Dual Proc is in my near future.

i never had one problem with ME, its more than twice as fast as XP and even faster than 98 was ... ofcourse has to do with all the darn graphics and all the added services XP has ... i waited till SP2 to upgrade to XP and only cause i had to .. at least you can turn off all the unneeded XP services .. you could tweak ME to even faster while 98 was more difficult and crashed alot. Integrating Internet Explorer 4.0 and Active Desktop crap is what killed the windows OS, before that it was fast ..

dont want to even think about how slow Windows Vista will be, MS must be making a fortune off their hardware shares

95 was the fastest GUI version yet .. blue screen every so often .. so look what we have to deal with these days, a virus or trojan every so often cause XP is so unsecure by default, the most unsecure OS to date, unless you tweak it.

Hey jasper,

What is your current Hardware setup: CPU, RAM, HDD, MOBO, Vid Card, sound etc.

As much info as possible.

2.53Ghz with a GB of Ram should be giving you pretty decent performance.

dont want to even think about how slow Windows Vista will be, MS must be making a fortune off their hardware shares

I have installed Vista a couple of times on a few different Comps. First time I installed, figured out you can only have 1 Mem stick at max 512 in during installation. So about 40 minutes into installation PC froze on me..

And , it took a long time. I know this is beta but cmon. We dont need all the fancy icons and crap. I really didnt enjoy the OS at all. But, I guess we will have to wait until official release.

Rory, cant you just write us an OS . "Windows Rory Edition"

Hey jasper,

What is your current Hardware setup: CPU, RAM, HDD, MOBO, Vid Card, sound etc.

As much info as possible.

2.53Ghz with a GB of Ram should be giving you pretty decent performance.

Dell 8200 Dimension

2.53Ghz (Socket 478), 1GB PC800 Rambus RAM

Don’t know which motherboard Vendor they used.

AGP ATI All In Wonder 9800 PRO 128MB

Sound Card: Santa Cruz Turtle Beach

George Lucas Certified THX sound system.

Combo Cards: Firewire 1394A & B, USB 2.0

Hard Drives: 2 ATA & 1 SATA inside.

All drives are 7200RPM.

WD120GB x 3

WD250GB

Lacie 500GB 1394b connection (800mbps)

Seagate 7200.8 400GB

Maxtor external 160GB

Hitachi 7500K 500GB SATA

Maxtor 300GB x 2

The thing that drives me nuts is when the system hangs when trying to do many things at once. I think this problem would greatly be helped from a dual core processor. A nice 10K Raptor as my boot drive would help responsiveness.

But for compressing and encoding video the more power the better. I have a lot of home made movies.

I don’t know if buying a 3.06Ghz CPU that is on sale for $50 would be noticeable. When I went from 1.2Ghz to 2.53Ghz that was a big difference. Plus the new larger hard drives and increased performance has contributed greatly to the responsiveness of my system as I keep buying the latest and greatest hard drives.

If you're switching between apps then HD speed isn't the factor. It sounds like a ram or CPU bottleneck. But for the love of god, tell me that isn't RDRAM....

Yes. Rambus made RDRAM.

It just happened to be that time when I bought it.

I knew Rambus memory wouldn't stay popular for very long. Too expensive and from your comment I gather not very good either.

I think I just need more power to be able to Watch TV, Use Dragon Naturally Speaking. encode video and anyting else I might want to do.