Swann/Hikvision waterproof connector damaged:

I'd sure love to fix this myself (pictures attached). I inadvertently pinched the pins inside the connector end (female RJ45?) during my install. This is the ethernet side of the camera pigtail. Of course, during the camera check during job clean up- it failed to work. I connected a different camera to the cable to rule out a damaged cat5e cable and the second camera worked fine.

Can I snip this connector off and add a keystone jack to replace this? Any other options besides sending the camera off for repair?

rps20140331_001316_229.thumb.jpg.bfff2f0564e32467524eafea4b1c291e.jpg

rps20140331_001758_536.thumb.jpg.9a1ea3113d0344630db981d8390e8a59.jpg

rps20140331_001729_946.thumb.jpg.5a0574e4429886a75417fbabfa0805f8.jpg

So no one has posted a reply for a resolve of my camera cable dilemma. Is there not one of you that claims to be a CCTV guru or expert here? Haven't any of you some sage advise for this dilemma that perhaps could help many more people than my poor self? I say.... I have read many tips from savvy people in these posts over the past many months and nooooo one is stepping up! 'none shall pass' is my CCTV system's nickname, but it's currently got a flesh wound (the damaged Hikvision cord) that is in need of some help from you my friends!

I am not a guru, but it stands to reason that damage won't be warranty covered. So you may as well snip off the connection and use a keystone. I have never done it so I can't say for sure. I do know that snipping it off will void the warranty regardless though. What have you got lose, snip away I say.

try a small screwdriver and see if you can straigten the pins... i've done it before on a few regular ethernet port and they seem to work ok afterwards.

I agree with 'finalwish' - try to straighten the pins first. I'd try a safety pin or small nail and bend the tip into an 'L' shape to get under the pins and pry them up. If that doesent work then replace with a keystone.

L-com sells waterproof connectors that should do the trick if you need the weatherproofing. Otherwise just get a standard module jack and replace it then cover it with a liberal amount of quality electrical tape after you plug in your cable. The tape will provide a bit of strain relief and also help to prevent accidental unplugging in the future.

http://www.l-com.com/ethernet-weather-resistant-harsh-environment

So I actually fixed this issue and both finalwish and gb5102 were correct with a solution. I used a long sewing pin though, and was able top prop the affected/damaged contact points upwards so they appeared to be about the same angle as the surrounding unaffected/undamaged pins. I was hoping the articulation in the metal as I moved them wouldn't break them. I had originally thought the pins were actually broke and not just bent rendering the whole connector inop (hence the reason for my post on the forum). A test of the camera shows no degradation or picture quality issues. Thank you for your help folks.--- But, I am curious, if I had cut the connector off, could the fix really have been as simple as a keystone jack? Has anyone ever done this before?

It's good to know that I can also obtain the waterproof connectors as Lcom offers in case it's needed. These wires are resting clear inside my walls and out of the elements, so I don't think I'll be needing them anyhow. Here's a before and after of the connector (attached).

DG

1062531269_Attachment1.thumb.jpg.caeece585f35dab3a5d8d3e3a1c9bf07.jpg

39224193_Attachment1(1).thumb.jpg.6f9713b2f2c3acf17d8c999de9f8017d.jpg

Sweet! Glad to hear you got it fixed!

But, I am curious, if I had cut the connector off, could the fix really have been as simple as a keystone jack? Has anyone ever done this before?

Never had to repair a cam like this, but the cams I've seen look like they use normal cat5 'patch cable' which is definitely NOT normally what you want to punch-down, but I have done it in a pinch in a different scenario and had no issue. Otherwise you likely could have crimped on an RJ45 plug, or worst case scenario you could have used a board-mount RJ45 jack(like what you'd see soldered to a circuit board)