Sign in to follow this  
Paranoid Pete

Is 3MP enough for a fisheye camera?

I'm looking at getting a Samsung SNF-7010 fisheye CCTV camera to watch the front of my house. Is that resolution going to be enough?

I'd like to be able to identify people at 15m.

I particularly like the idea of virtual PTZ, as it means I won't miss anything. But there are only 2048 pixels across, spread over 180 degrees.

Has anyone installed one of these, or any other 3MP models?

Thanks,

Pete

15 meters (49 feet) is a pretty long way off for a fisheye lens. I generally don't count any having anything useful beyond about 9 meters (30 feet). The Mobotix Q24 is my frame of reference here and it is a 3MP camera that I have been using for years.

360 degree/fisheye cameras are terrible in low light conditions.

As soon as it gets slightly dark, a 360 degree/fisheye camera will be useless.

A low light true day/night camera is recommended.

Use motion lights to help out if lighting is not sufficient.

Separate external IR is best.

If you really want 180 degree coverage, I would suggest two 90 degree cameras. And at that distance, I would use at least 2 megapixel cameras, though 3MP would be better. 90 degree field of view will not have much fisheye distortion and you wouldn't need to dewarp the images.

Hey Pete,

i know the 360° and 180° Fisheye Cameras from Vivotek. They are great if you just want to know whats going on (for example university, school, store), but they dont fit if you do some real cctv-surveillance. So, i aggree with ssnapier and survtech. if possible, use two good ip cameras (brand doenst matter that much, samsung, sony, bosch, mobotix, dahua..)

best regards

360 degree/fisheye lens cameras with sufficient controlled lighting are great.

With proper placement, it is very difficult to hide from a 360degree/fisheye lens camera.

I recommend 360 degree/fisheye lens cameras for generally crowded retail environment where people, pillars, shelf, signage etc. might obscure the view of a standard mount camera.

Great for situations where distraction theft might occur.

Great as point of sale cash register overview camera.

Nice!!! " title="Applause" />

Hikvision continues to impress and raise the bar!

So many cameras to test. So little time...

This new Hikvision camera looks be much better in low light.

6 Megapixel Fisheye Network Camera

Day/night with IR

Any idea whether this is internal or external? With all the holes, it looks to be an internal camera. Like the IR lights though.

--

Pete

Holes in plastic/aluminum enclosures can be designed totally waterproof with proper rubber/silicon seals and rated components.

Cellphones and point-n-shoot cameras that are fully submersible in water are available.

Also, waterproof speakers and microphones are available.

The preliminary specs show a wide operating temperature range but no IP rating though...

I heard the software wasn't stable....but let me know wireguys! We have the 3 mp version with WDR in stock...maybe we should actually turn it on and see what's up.

I saw this camera last month at SICUR in Madrid, and it looked quite nice. I still can not find it available on any Hik dealers in Spain so far, but I would love to try it.

We looked at both the 3mp and 5mp Hik fisheye and I was disappointed with the image quality. They had it running though on of there NVRS so we where not able to see the image directly. I still plan to order one to test since the people in the booth really didn't know what they where doing.

I must add that the whole experience in the Hik booth was very disappointing. They where bashing all of there OEM partners and didn't offer any real reasons why we should buy Hikvision products over the OEM partners.

We made a video of it using the 3mp one, I believe its straight from the camera on a computer.

But this video could just look better than it does in real life for marketing reason.

Hi everyone, this is Jojo from Panoview, IP wireless Megapixel fisheye supplier in China. As I saw all your guys' quotes, it is the truth that fisheye now is not mature enough, but it did have a lot of advantages, like its 360/180 super wide angle view, WDR function, E-PTZ.

Except that, our own software can work as NVR, in other words, NVR is optional, and you only need PC for storage.

Some guys are concerning about night visison issue, our fisheye camera is with IR function, and we have another solution, like we add white light as fill-in light, so there will extra light to support night function.

Hope this will be little helpful for your understanding about fisheye camera. Thanks.