I recently added a couple ACTi e77 IP cameras to my existing analog system. With my analog cameras, I get constant fps day or night. However with my new IP cameras, I notice fps will drop from 30 to around 3-5 fps. Is this normal with IP cameras? Is there anything I need to configure differently? There is very little traffic on the network the IP cameras run on.

What is the maximum shutter speed set to. I believe ACTi on sets it to 1/5 by default, hence the fastest it can move one frame is1/5th of a second, but there's compression overhead so in reality 3fps seems realistic. You can change the maximum exposure to something faster, I usually use 1/30th of a second, but you can experiment for what works best for you.

Shutter was set to default 1/5. I changed to 1/30. I'll see what effect this has tonight on low light areas. Is there a standard practice when setting shutter speed or just what works best for the environment?

Just depends on what your goals are, if you have enough light for the faster shutter speed. Some people are happy with 1/15th if it's just people walking.