atelyshev

Is sound really important for surveillance system

Hello,

I am developer of one surveillance system and just spoke to one guy at tech forum. He asked if we supported sound from IP camera.

This is quite interesting question, because I never consider this as valuable functionality. But this moment I am not sure. Can it really help you if you monitoring noisy retail space ?

Regards

Aleksey

Not sure how important they are for catching criminals, but alot of audio recording requests come from store owners who wants to listen in on their employees.

Another one was a neighbor needed to record audio because his neighbor was always blasting loud music late at night and having parties

It would be nice to have built-in Mic, then the cameras also functions as an intercom.

Here is a copy / paste from another thread where I had this to say:

If you are in the United States, you may wish to become familiar with wiretapping laws, Electronic Surveillance with audio, Eavesdropping laws, the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986, and the Fourth Amendment or other laws within your particular jurisdiction...

For example, if you do not clearly post notice of AUDIO monitoring and recording, consider if you might jeopardize yourself attempting to use such evidence in court.

I know these cameras are being sold with mics, but be careful. I do not think people understand the serious legal issues presented once audio recording is introduced.

Here is a copy / paste from another thread where I had this to say:

If you are in the United States, you may wish to become familiar with wiretapping laws, Electronic Surveillance with audio, Eavesdropping laws, the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986, and the Fourth Amendment or other laws within your particular jurisdiction...

For example, if you do not clearly post notice of AUDIO monitoring and recording, consider if you might jeopardize yourself attempting to use such evidence in court.

I know these cameras are being sold with mics, but be careful. I do not think people understand the serious legal issues presented once audio recording is introduced.

Same goes in Australia where they will contravine the "Listening Devices Act"

@ Milkisbad - one way operation does not make for a good intercom.

We have a lot of cameras at access control points for military bases. I have been asked to provide audio at a great many of those because several times the guards have been threatened with bodily harm and the audio was used in combination with the video to both prove the guard acted appropriately and also to prosecute the person threatening the guard.

I have also seen grocery stores use audio to prevent fraudulent injury claims.

We have a lot of cameras at access control points for military bases. I have been asked to provide audio at a great many of those because several times the guards have been threatened with bodily harm and the audio was used in combination with the video to both prove the guard acted appropriately and also to prosecute the person threatening the guard.

I have also seen grocery stores use audio to prevent fraudulent injury claims.

These use cases sound reasonable. With audio recording due diligence by the installer / owner of the security system must be performed to verify the legality / requirements. For example, if I were to install audio recording on my property I would be subject to the requirement to post notice to all persons entering the property that audio recording devices are in use.

I am not saying audio recording is illegal. I am only warning about the need to understand that it is a different animal (legal wise) than video.

Most of the time the consent laws are satisfied with clear signage at every entrance. That is a long way from true legal advice, but based on my past experience (which is state specific of course) it passed our lawyers and the clients as well.