Sign in to follow this  
tammabini

Wireless CCTV System

Hi! I'm fairly new in the CCTV System design and I was wondering how effective a Wireless CCTV System would work for my project. Heres the catch, I will be designing a CCTV system for an 8-hectare manufacturing plant and will be installed outdoor on their perimeter fences. Initially, I designed a wired IP Based system using CAT-5 cables, PoE unmanaged switches and NVR's. Now all those I am up against used wireless systems.

How reliable is my system compared to theirs first, operation wise, secondly maintenance and third is cost wise. These cameras will be exposed to Sun (imagine our temp. here in the Philippines) and Rain 24/7, 365. Will their system at one point have some interference especially when it rains specifically during storms. And is still the wired system the best solution for this types of very huge areas.

Thank you in advance guys!

As a guy who does a lot of wireless stuff, that sounds like a bad place to make it work right. Trucks getting in the way, and dealing with plant equipment makes it tricky. They also have the added cost of dealing with power issues, so I am betting that at the end of the day you could be competitive as long as your installers work efficiently. You might consider trying to give them a break on labor up front and sell them on monitoring or an annual service contract to recoup it on the back end. If you need help writing that service contract let me know.

I'm all about wireless but only when it's required. Wireless is more complicated, more expensive, and lacks the capabilities and reliability of a wired system unless you want to put some big money into additional hardware.

If you're worries about temperature and weather conditions, box cameras and enclosures would be worth thinking about.