latropa

Bugs and IR lights at night. Cameras recording motion...

every 1 or 2 minutes because of thinks like this:

They seem to be attracted to the little red lights. (Hikvision cameras, with the sensitivity as low as it will go which is 20%).

Is the only solution to turn of the IR lights and keep something like a porch light on that's a ways away all night instead?

Ive heard of people putting a drop of citronella or something similar on the housing to keep the bugs away. The other option is to use IR illuminators external to the camera. You will still get the bugs to the IR, just not directly in front of the camera lens.

I guess another thing that can't be easily fixed is picking up trees (or shadows of trees) that are moving on a slightly windy day?

It makes finding relevant motion events fairly worthless when your playback timeline looks like this:

246496_1.png

And it's all just shadows of leaves blowing in the window.

I have plenty of motion events and time lines that look like that. When a real problem arises that you have to review, it's usually still easy enough to narrow down the event. I've never had a problem doing it. If you want to cure most of your false triggers, install PIR which will give you true motion events instead of pixel based motion detection.

I have plenty of motion events and time lines that look like that. When a real problem arises that you have to review, it's usually still easy enough to narrow down the event. I've never had a problem doing it. If you want to cure most of your false triggers, install PIR which will give you true motion events instead of pixel based motion detection.

I'll probably just end up living with it because I've already went to all the work I want to running wires through the walls and getting in the attic and I doubt my cameras support PIR (Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I).

You could also do better with a porch light on, but lights are lights and bug are bugs. IR will also show dust particles and fog will look like a blizzard. All that combined makes IR a challenge to deal with. But an exterior light some ways away from the camera can help. You can mask that area out of motion detection to avoid some of the bug activity and eliminate a huge amount of fog and dust triggering. Good luck.