Sign in to follow this  
jeromephone

ubiquity new line of high def camera

I just got an email with a whole new line of HD cameras. Anybody got there hands on one or know where they are avaliable? The camera software was pretty good but their other bullet cameras were nothing to write home about. I have an apt complex I am working on a wirless network to cover the whole site and am going to use ubiquity and would really like to use their product across the board.

I really think UBNT trying to get in the CCTV market is a huge mistake for them. At this point there is no way they can disrupt the pricing in market and I would be blown away if they can match the qualty/price of Hikvision and Dahua. And I HOPE they add some type of support for end users if they go down this road.

UBNT if you read this stick to what you're good at and give us more and better wireless options.

They had HD cameras for a while now, 720P. So the new one is 1080P and has IR and 3X zoom, sounds good if they can sell it for $99. That thing is a beast though, 12" long and 4" round. Good to see them use standard PoE for a change, but 12.5W, ouch, that's double just about anything out there. Comes with a PoE injector.

I believe their NVR software is Zoneminder, a free open source product and they put their own skin on it. The problem with Zoneminder it's CPU resource heavy.

They had HD cameras for a while now, 720P. So the new one is 1080P and has IR and 3X zoom, sounds good if they can sell it for $99. That thing is a beast though, 12" long and 4" round. Good to see them use standard PoE for a change, but 12.5W, ouch, that's double just about anything out there. Comes with a PoE injector.

I believe their NVR software is Zoneminder, a free open source product and they put their own skin on it. The problem with Zoneminder it's CPU resource heavy.

I heard the price for that camera is $469 MSRP

http://uv.ubnt.com/

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Since I posted I did see the pricetag of the outdoor camera At that rate I can go to any number of different mfg. I was thinking they would be in the 200 range but I not going to be the pioneer at that rate. I also don't need another cpu hungry system as I have been having problems with geovision when using the mobile server and encoders

Their support services are very lacking, they offer a message board where the users can help each other but the only support you get from Ubiquiti is an RMA if the camera breaks within a year. I had one of their dome cameras brick itself and the RMA replacement they send out was messed up too. They finally replaced it with another one and it seems to be stable.

Anyway, at those prices they're really not any cheaper than Dahua or Hikvision. Their DVR software has gotten much better in the latest released in terms of CPU requirements and reliability but I agree that they're not disrupting much at this price point.