Sign in to follow this  
cam2017

Change DVR password, stopping potention intrusion

Hi, my sister had CCTV installed with a avtech kpd- 675 zc DVR and just about got him to make them viewable on the eagle eyes app.

She paid him upfront and he's been so slow and took a total of 6 weeks on/off to finally get everything done (big mistake using this guy).

Anyway, this guy set up the internet viewing on his own laptop and had her reset the router to default so now he has the the passwords to everything...dvr, router login, and the password you put in the app. He said if you change the router password everything will stop working.

He also wanted £20 a year to set up dydns because her ISP had a dynamic IP (talk talk) but she has since changed ISP to one that doesn't really change (virgin) but he says you still need it. I myself have a dvr setup using Virgin media without the need for dydns (4weeks ago he also said Virgin media doesn't need it and he has virgin it himself).

We know how to change the router login password (virgin media superhub 2) but have no idea how to change the password you put in the app. He keeps saying he forgot to bring the disk because he always uses his own laptop, is there anything I can do?

I know the password to the dvr and to view online but don't know how to change it because we're without the software.

what separate software would you need that this monkey has? It's a DVR, plugin a mouse/keyboard/monitor to the DVR and walk through the menus for whatever mobile password you need to reset?

what separate software would you need that this monkey has? It's a DVR, plugin a mouse/keyboard/monitor to the DVR and walk through the menus for whatever mobile password you need to reset?

Hi, thanks for replying, we know nothing about CCTV set ups and how to do things other than the very basics things. We assumed the pc software would be needed to change passwords.

She has a mouse connected to the dvr and it's connected to the tv already so she can see and go through the menus but just knowing what to do is the problem.

What exactly needs to change on it to stop him controlling it from his end?

I have told he to check the menus and she said there is a Admin password and a Operator password, if they're the ones needed would they both need changing or just the Admin?

Hi. If you have changed router and ISP then he should not have access

Who setup your dvr when ISP changed

He has set it up with the new ISP

if you changed the router admin password, then he can't get into that anymore remotely. If you change the admin password to the DVR then he can't access the DVR web access assuming he forwarded the ports to your router to access it via web. If there is some android or ios application that talks to the DVR then its either using the same admin password or its using one specified in user accounts for the DVR to access like another "operator" account. change all the passwords and then at the very worst you will have to go into your "App" and correct the login credentials password. If you are not sure how to do any of this then you might want to download the manual for your DVR which should be available online and walk you through the menus. If you aren't comfortable doing that I would hire someone else and let them sit in front of you and show you where to put your passwords next time vs telling him your passwords.

Hi, he told her to reset the router login password as her custom one didn't work whilst he was setting up the remote viewing and said not to change it again because the remote viewing would stop working which I thought was a bit strange

He probably thinks if you reset the router, you will reset the port forwarding too which will cause it to not work anymore.

Changing the password is fine, it should have nothing to do with the networking.

DDNS is free from many distributors in US, not sure about UK. or just use the IP address and you can always find that out on canyouseeme.org

if you need to reset password for any app or software, usually uninstalling and reinstalling will allow you to put in a new password.