mdelvecchio

PoE and NVRs - can I plug IPcams into a switch instead?

hello,

I'm new to the area but doing some initial research on NVRs and IP cams. Hopefully you can help. I don't have a particular brand in mind yet, just doing general research.

Since the NVR will likely be in my living space on the ground floor near the TV, I don't really want four+ ethernet lines running into the room from various places in the house. Will it work to route the four+ PoE IP cams to a single PoE switch (router?), say in the attic, and then run a single ethernet line from the switch to the NVR? That way I only have to put in a single port in the downstairs wall, nice and tidy.

Related, the NVR still has to connect to my home network, so that would be a different ethernet connection to the router, correct? The router is right next to where the NVR would be, but it's the cameras which are coming in from different directions.

thanks,

matt

hello,

I'm new to the area but doing some initial research on NVRs and IP cams. Hopefully you can help. I don't have a particular brand in mind yet, just doing general research.

Since the NVR will likely be in my living space on the ground floor near the TV, I don't really want four+ ethernet lines running into the room from various places in the house. Will it work to route the four+ PoE IP cams to a single PoE switch (router?), say in the attic, and then run a single ethernet line from the switch to the NVR? That way I only have to put in a single port in the downstairs wall, nice and tidy.

Related, the NVR still has to connect to my home network, so that would be a different ethernet connection to the router, correct? The router is right next to where the NVR would be, but it's the cameras which are coming in from different directions.

thanks,

matt

I did something similar. I have (up to eight cameras), and installed a POE injector (with 8 POE ports, and 8 matching LAN ports) , and a 16 input switch.

Total cost was less than $80 I think

I did something similar. I have (up to eight cameras), and installed a POE injector (with 8 POE ports, and 8 matching LAN ports) , and a 16 input switch.

so you connected the POE injector to the NVR? do you do that just thru one of its normal PoE input ports? which brand, if I may ask?

With Hikvision you do not have to use the POE built into the NVR, you can also plug a switch right into the NVR and plug all your camera's into it.

Now for actually needing the POE built-in to an NVR or not, it depends on the situation. If you have a limited back bone already using Point of Sales and IP phone, you probably don't want 8x 3MP camera's eating up 8 Mbps for the best quality. That could easy shut down your network with bottle necking, etc.

The built in PoE is nice for these situations, otherwise buy a PoE switch and import them into the NVR. If NVR doesn't let you import them you need to not buy it or return it lol.

You can run all the cameras to a PoE switch and connect the NVR to the same switch, no problem as long as you don't have any runs over 100m. Never did like the idea of an NVR with a built in PoE switch. Imagine a 16 port NVR, so 17 wires plus power going to an NVR under your TV, what a mess.

What I do also is have two 8 PoE port switches, one in the attic in my garage, one in my office at the opposite corner and they are interconnected. This way I just wire to the nearest switch.

Yes, you can do this. Hook up your cameras to a POE switch and from the POE switch, run a cable to the Router. I'm assuming your router has a built-in switch you can plug in a network cable from the attic switch and the NVR itself.

1. Make sure the attic switch will support POE and that it has enough power to power X number of cameras.

2. Make sure sure your network can handle all the network traffic your cameras will generate. I saw my network come to a halt when I tried this setup. I had to upgrade my network equipment to solve the issue.

3. Lastly, you didn't mention anything about noise but I should let you know that my Hik NVR isn't silent. Not loud but it isn't silent. And though I can deal with the sound, others are very sensitive to noise and can't stand a little fan noise. You might want to factor that into your plans.

Yes, you can do this. Hook up your cameras to a POE switch and from the POE switch, run a cable to the Router. I'm assuming your router has a built-in switch you can plug in a network cable from the attic switch and the NVR itself.

1. Make sure the attic switch will support POE and that it has enough power to power X number of cameras.

2. Make sure sure your network can handle all the network traffic your cameras will generate. I saw my network come to a halt when I tried this setup. I had to upgrade my network equipment to solve the issue.

3. Lastly, you didn't mention anything about noise but I should let you know that my Hik NVR isn't silent. Not loud but it isn't silent. And though I can deal with the sound, others are very sensitive to noise and can't stand a little fan noise. You might want to factor that into your plans.

thanks for the info. so in your above scenario, how are you bridging the POE switch to the NVR -- via its camera-input jacks, or a special bridge port?

i have a great 802.11ac wifi router that i like, it has an ethernet line-in port for the cable modem, but only 3 additional client ports, which are filled. im also going to have to bridge another device to it for more ports since i couldnt even connect the NVR if i wanted to.

yes, the noise from the NVR is definitely a consideration. the Costco retailer near me has a popular Swann 1080p PoE unit, it reviews well (and my friend has footage that looks great), but the fan is loud. are there some brands that offer quieter, less obtrusive NVRs? our house isnt large, there isnt an ideal place to put a noisy NVR other than the guest room, but theres no TV in there to use as a monitor. we do have computers in the main living areas -- do most NVRs allow intranet desktops to be the primary driver? ie, can the NVR be "headless" and still be completely functional?

thanks!

so you connected the POE injector to the NVR? do you do that just thru one of its normal PoE input ports? which brand, if I may ask?

I bought POE injector and Switch #2 to do this. Switch #1 was existing, and connects to router.

POE side (1-8) of injector connects to cameras.

LAN side (1-8) of injector connects to Switch #2.

Switch #2 connects to Switch #1.

NVR connects to Switch #1

If you have eight cameras hooked up to an 8 poe nvr, or 8 cameras in a poe switch and import them all into a non poe nvr, which scenario causes the least amount of stress on your home network? I'm assuming it's the poe nvr, where the only stress will come if you're monitoring in software or remotely.

Hey have a a probable simple question.

I have a 4 port NVR and want to up grade it to 8 port NVR but want to use POE cameras. The 4 cameras I have now use a CAT5/network cable and a power line (separate). Can I connect them into the POE Switch and keep the cameras as they are with power lines and a network cable. I would then add 4 POE cameras and hook them up to the POE switch for power.

I guess I am asking if I replace my 4 port network switch with a 8 port POE switch can I plug my non-POE cameras into the POE switch (not for power). I will still use the power previously run to them. Will the POE switch hurt my non-POE cameras. I would then add 4 more POE cameras.

Thanks for the help.

I guess I am asking if I replace my 4 port network switch with a 8 port POE switch can I plug my non-POE cameras into the POE switch (not for power).

Yes. So long as everything plays by the rules, PoE provided (by the new switch) where not wanted (your old cameras) will not cause problems.

Are you sure your NVR would actually look at 8 cams though?