Sign in to follow this  
rhamilton1312

No tv! Still record?

Hi there I'm new on here and am trying to decide the best way to go about hiding my DVR. I have a cupboard which is quite hidden away and would like to run the camera wires into a DVR and hard drive in that cupboard, but I don't want to have a tv in there. Will a DVR record straight from camera to hard drive without a tv? I will then disconnect the DVR and connect it to a tv to watch the recording if I need to. It's just that the cupboard is soooo well hidden, and I want to make use of that, but I don't want to have to put a tv in there as well.

A DVR has a built in hard drive to record images from your camera.

A tv/monitor does not need to be connected to the DVR in order to record.

A tv/monitor will need to be connected to dvr to view the cameras, view recordings, and to change programming such as recording schedule, date, etc.

You will need to provide some access to the dvr's front panel, IR remote control sensor, and some ventilation holes for cooling.

If access is difficult, use a IR extender/repeater for the IR remote control.

Thank u so much, I'm glad I can do that. Yeah there is enough space for air circulation and I will position it to allow for IR control transmission. Thank you again.

Your DVR will only record the camera image. Although you will need a monitor so that you can set up the entire thing. I have a few times, just set up the DVR with the monitor and once the customer was happy with it, they wanted me to hide the DVR and remove the monitor. Just double check to make sure it still recorded without the monitor, just to make sure.

I hope this helps.

connect it to your network and install the *client software* on other machines (computers/phones etc) you want to view from, or you can just use a web browser to view most DVRs. This is called a Headless System, and I know on all the analog systems I've played with the controls aren't as nice as being at the DVR, but today I was playing with a NVR from a remote machine and it was much better.