aledhughes99

Unable to view remotley via BT broadband ? not supported ?

Hi, please bear with me as I'm new to all this so beware of silly questions ahead !

I've just purchased a complete cctv system via ebay and set it up all ok, i've also connected to our BT wifi home broadband hub.

I'm now able to watch the cctv pictures via wifi on my smartphone, laptop & tablet but only if they're connected to the same wifi as the cctv (i.e only in the house).

I phoned the cctv manufacturer helpline and was told i'd have to pay £30 for the technical help to unlock my broadband to enable me to watch via smartphone through mobile phone network...other wifi...etc

Anyway to save paying the £30 I phoned BT technical helpline and was told that bt residential customers was unable to use their broadband as only business customers had "static ip addresses" and that reidential ip addresses change every 30 minutes making it impossible to use for cctv

Can anyone confirm if this is true, if so is there any way around it ?

I dont think your IP really changes every 30 minutes, if it does, you'd notice it when there is a short disconnect every 30 minutes.

What they probably really mean is that if you're not connected, your IP would change, and even if it would change every 30 minutes, there are services like http://www.noip.com/ that have auto-updaters (for pc) that keep your current IP (updates like every 5 minutes) linked to which ever host you choose (for example myipcameras.noip.com).

Once you get that sorted, theres still few to do/check:

- Does your ISP allow incoming connections to any port? Usually they allow some ports, but usually nothing below 1024

- Do you have your ports forwarded? (like: from internet -> myipcameras.noip.com:8080 -> local_camera_or_cctv_ip:1234) http://portforward.com/ offers plenty of guides for most of the routers around

What brand of DVR is it?

Check the Network settings under DDNS and see what ddns services it will accept, some DVR are pre set to noip, dynddns etc

setup a DDNS account with NOIP or whoever and open the ports in the router, what BT homehub have you got? on the bottom of it it will state HH3 or HH4 and a type A or B , this will determine how easy it will be to do setup as certain versions do not work even when the ports are opened thanks to good old BT