winterminute

Need a residential front door camera

I'm looking for some recommendations for a security cam for my front door. I'm hoping you guys can help.

Here are the details of my install location:

* Install right next to front door. About 5' high, right above the door bell.

* The walk up to the door has the garage on one side and is open to the front yard on the other.

* There is a porch light right above that is on 24/7 it so hopefully that means good no matter time of day.

Here are my requirements:

* My budget is roughly $300-$400 (closer to $300 would be ideal)

* IP megapixel camera with POE

* Given my install location, I think a bullet cam would seem weird so I'm looking for a dome.

* The image quality needs to be good enough for it to be useful to hand over to the police so they can either manual match up against a known photo or release on their website for others to recognize.

* I don't need PTZ or audio

* I'm using BlueIris so I'm not worried about any included software (assuming the camera is Onvif-compliant)

Because of Costco great return policy I started my research there, what do you think of these options? I can't find any reviews on them, maybe that's a bad sign.

Swann HD 3MP IP Vari-Focal Add-on Dome Camera

http://www.costco.com/Swann-HD-3MP-IP-Vari-Focal-Add-on-Dome-Camera.product.100089445.html

AvertX HD 1080p IP Autofocus Add-on Dome Camera

http://www.costco.com/AvertX-HD-1080p-IP-Autofocus-Add-on-Dome-Camera-.product.100097396.html

Finally, a couple of questions:

* What MM lens do I need? I think the ideal capture point will be when the person is right at the front door. ~5FT or so.

* On a side note, does one bulb type do a better job illuminating a scene at night? LED, CFL, Bright White vs Warm.

* Why is there so much discussions about flashing Chinese firmware?

I like the Hikvision branded version of the Swann, the ds-2cd2732f-is and here's why. The Hikvision version has alarm input, so you can do one of two things, you can tie a notification to a door bell for example, ring the doorbell, camera sends you a text, or put a pressure mat under welcome mat, someone steps on it, sends you a text. Then you can view the camera from your smartphone and it does have audio if you chose to implement that later (the Swann does not) and pricing is about the same (pm if you need help).

The camera has a varifocal lens, so no need to worry about selecting a lens, you can adjust the lens from a very wide 105 degree view to a narrow 22 degree view (2.8mm to 12mm). I use one at my front door, works well there and I have mine set to 2.8mm inside a 15x15' courtyard and I can still ID someone 25' away standing at our gate into the entrance courtyard. But you may want a narrower view, no problem, just adjust it to your liking.

You don't even need BlueIris as it can record in-camera to a 64GB microSD card and have very good playback capabilities using a timeline (better than BI in my opinion) from the web interface. If you want to use it with BI, there's been support for Hikvision cameras for a long, no need to worry there. I use this camera with BlueIris on a commercial project, works fine.

The only downside to the 2732 is it's a full size dome, so large. They also make a very nice mini-dome, the ds-2cd2532f-is, similar features to the 2732, but has a fixed lens bit is much smaller, I think I did a picture of the two side by side in that review.

It provides it's own infrared light, so no additional lighting needed but I have two 9W LED bulbs I got from Home Depot at my front door and the camera does not even go to black & white when that's on.

I found your detailed review of the HikVision version of the Costco cam. Seems to be a good camera, so I'm leaning that way. I'll wait to see if anyone has any other thoughts. In the meantime, I found the HikVision you suggested for sale at Wrightwood, N-e-l-l-y-'s and Amazon. Wrightwood had it for $250, the N-word (why is that word stripped?) had it for $300, and Amazon (via HikVision USA) had it for $350. My guess is Wrightwood is selling the China version where as Amazon is selling the US version (who knows which one Nellys is selling). I read a couple of comments on your blog about HikVision refusing support if you buy a China-version in the US, is that correct?

I believe Hikvision won't support to end users/installers that didn't buy directly from them, even if its English versions...especially to End Users.

If you needed support you would go to your seller, i.e. the N word or costco or wrightwood or amazon seller.

Also look at warranty, the higher price one probably has a 3 year warranty and the lower price one most likely a few months to a year.

Costco's $250 version is cheaper because its the one without audio/alarm inputs and outputs, the $300 version should be the one with audio/alarm.

There are low profile/remote sensor cams available, but these won't fit in your budget. Still, good for ideas.

Axis P1204 remote sensor cam

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_p1204/

Mobotix S15D remote sensor cam

http://www.mobotix.com/other/Products/Cameras/FlexMount-S15/S15D-FlexMount-Core

Interface plates for door cams, using the Axis M1014 cube cam:

http://eholovision.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=210&Itemid=244

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m1014/

To get the Hikvision USA version, you would have to register with one of their wholesale distributors like Tri-Ed or ADI Global as an installer or integrator and buy from them. To give you an idea, the highest number you quoted would be lower than wholesale from the distributor. They don't allow sales to resellers. So call it Chinese (all are made in China), English, Mexican, they are all the same, the menus, screen displays are in English. I seriously doubt any would sell a camera they got from a legit distributor like ADI Global and sell it to for you at a loss on Amazon that charges about 10% to do fulfillment, so don't be fooled by marketing double-talk. The USA office will not support you unless you are a customer of one of their wholesale distributors. OEM's that sell them like Swann also will not get you Hikvision USA support so not really much of a difference. Regardless of who you get it from, the seller is your support line. Same with Dahua. The big plus is bang for the buck, but not for everyone.

An alternative would be ACTi, a D71/D72 or E71/E72 dome would work well and give you the level of support you may need.

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I misread some of the posts regarding buying US vs China and in the end it's not a big deal. For what it's worth, the one on Amazon (http://amzn.com/B00I86U5UI) is the DS-2CD2732F-I not the DS-2CD2732F-IS. Not sure the difference, but suppose it doesn't matter. I'm not worried about support (as in "help me do x") but don't want a hassle if I need to file a warranty claim. Is Wrightwood a pretty good place to do business with?

I did some research into the smaller version (ds-2cd2532f-is) and I almost wonder if that's a better option for a front-door cam. The other one might seem overly big. I actually want people at the front door to see that there is a camera, but maybe the bigger one is overkill. From what I read on your blog, the differences are (1) fixed lens (2) no alarm I/O (3) no mic input. I think otherwise they are nearly identical (including image quality including low-light), is that correct?

The letter coding for Hikvision is if it has an F in the number, it has an SD card slot, if it has an S it has alarm input/outputs and audio. For example, the I version of the 2732 is about $30 cheaper at ADI Global (wholesale) than the IS version. The Swann is the I version.

The difference besides size is the 2732 has a varifocal lens, the 2532 is a fixed lens and comes in 2.8 and 4mm I believe. If you never installed a vandal dome before, focusing a varifocal lens may be a challenge. They also make the lower end mini-dome, the ds-2cd2132-i, 2-axis design so must be mounted with dome facing down, not wall mounted.

I see what you mean at the Amazon listing, manufacturer says Hikvision USA. When you put an item for sale on Amazon, you have to put a manufacturer that they recognize the bar code from. So it's not the reseller misleading you, it's just the way Amazon works. Sometimes, the seller is in China, but Amazon hides that from you.

The difference besides size is the 2732 has a varifocal lens, the 2532 is a fixed lens and comes in 2.8 and 4mm I believe. If you never installed a vandal dome before, focusing a varifocal lens may be a challenge.

For your application, a fixed lens cam may need re-focusing, which can also be tricky on Hiks. You'd be looking at people just a few feet away from the cam, if it's mounted right above the doorbell. That might be too close for the factory focus, though you'd get a nice clear shot of them as they approached the doorway.

I decided to go with the smaller one. Based on recommendation from Dalton at Wrightwood, I decided to get the 2.8mm so hopefully that will give me better close up images. Sounds like they have a decent return policy so I'll swap it for the 4mm if it doesn't work. I'm now thinking about upgrading my old Dahua cam (mounted over my garage) with the ds-2cd2732f-is ... too many toys.

Thanks for everyone's help. My next order of business: decide if I need/should switch from BlueIris to Milestone...

I decided to go with the smaller one. Based on recommendation from Dalton at Wrightwood, I decided to get the 2.8mm so hopefully that will give me better close up images. Sounds like they have a decent return policy so I'll swap it for the 4mm if it doesn't work.

Just a FYI, there is a restocking fee at Wrightwood. They call it a "15% shipping and handling fee". See very bottom here:

http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6

Please post some photos and vids once installed. Considering the 3mp minidome so be good to check out some other reviews besides buell's

These would be perfect for my front door. I have a generous overhang and just want something reasonably secure for my M1014. Anyone know where I can buy one of the M1014 enclosures in the USA? I tried contacting eholovision, but they seem to only want to talk to resellers.