jordanb

Looking for a new test monitor

what don't you like about it, or what doesn't make sense?

Do us all a favour and BUILD one and post pictures, then you'll see what I'm talking

about and so will everyone else.

some info on the TDR.

basically the signal travels at a certain speed down the cable, each cable will have a speed figure or co-efficient %speed of light or something, you punch this figure into the tdr for the cable type you are testing then attach the cable you want to test and press the button- a pulse is sent out and recorded - it will bounce off the end of the cable or be inverted if it comes across a short -the graph will show peaks at bad connections or where it meets resistance- then you use the cursor to move along the graph to get the distance for the anomaly.

But you need to know the cable route so you can identify where the fault is- if it shows a fault at 160m you need to be able to walk the cable route to the approximate point.- Not very good if your cables disappear straight into a roof and can go in any direction and you don't know the route.

Wow, if I'd known that, I might have bought mine with that feature, how interesting.. thanks for that.

I used to have the 894 and that was a great little tool, except that when I looked at some varifocal cameras the display would flash madly and I wasn't able to use the screen. I still keep it as a back up just in case but as a primary tool I think it's had it.

I just wish the new one had the rubber boot that the orange one has.

I have recently come across the IRE measurement for measuring video , iknow some meters have this as a function- anyone know if its any good- read that you can use it to achieve back focus- any one use this function - and is it any good ie worth having.

I have recently come across the IRE measurement for measuring video , iknow some meters have this as a function- anyone know if its any good- read that you can use it to achieve back focus- any one use this function - and is it any good ie worth having.

I'd be very interested to know how that works, however back-focus isn't difficult to set.

Anybody used this...

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Monitor-Security-Camera-Tester/dp/B00EZM54R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408646632&sr=8-1&keywords=Lerway+test+monitor

And can anyone help me understand what the difference is in the above product the this...

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Security-Tester-Camera-Monitor/dp/B00K4PTNN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1408646575&sr=1-2

Maybe I don't fully understand Amazon's pricing methods. From what I can tell the two above items are identical and from the same seller, but one is $10 less.

Anybody used this...

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Monitor-Security-Camera-Tester/dp/B00EZM54R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408646632&sr=8-1&keywords=Lerway+test+monitor

And can anyone help me understand what the difference is in the above product the this...

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Security-Tester-Camera-Monitor/dp/B00K4PTNN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1408646575&sr=1-2

Maybe I don't fully understand Amazon's pricing methods. From what I can tell the two above items are identical and from the same seller, but one is $10 less.

I wouldn't bother with one less than this: http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-CCTV-Installation-Maintenance-Monitoring/dp/B00DHCDL36/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1408769799&sr=8-6&keywords=cctv+test+monitor

It has all the same features as yours (only the most basic) but it includes a video generator...something you could place at the camera end of the cable and generate (transmit) a colorbar signal. That's useful.

....really, though, if you buy, you might as well consider this since it has a tone generator & some very basic cable testing tools built in too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HVT-2603-3-5-TFT-LCD-CCTV-Camera-Tester-PTZ-Digital-Multimeter-IP-Search-New-/261337465766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd8ed43a6 ....if you're looking at the cute arm band this will blow that away....

look at the bottom of the ebay page which I posted earlier on this thread it shows the different models and what functions you get ie st893,st894 etc. some have the multimeter function some don't, some have fibre measurement some don't- have a look at the different model to see what extra or less functions you are getting /not getting for your 10 dollar difference.

I have the model which measures fibre signals and also has the multimeter- I am very happy with its performance- the 12v dc output has been a life saver at times.

look at the bottom of the ebay page which I posted earlier on this thread it shows the different models and what functions you get ie st893,st894 etc. some have the multimeter function some don't, some have fibre measurement some don't- have a look at the different model to see what extra or less functions you are getting /not getting for your 10 dollar difference.

I have the model which measures fibre signals and also has the multimeter- I am very happy with its performance- the 12v dc output has been a life saver at times.

I concur with your statement that the ST894 is excellent value. If mine hadn't blown a gasket, I'd still be happy to use it everyday. I can still use it for all functions except the display which won't stop flashing on and off when I view varifocal IR cameras. (Not sure why it does it)

My new one is fine and I only looked for a new one because of the issues I had. Its still great for Volts, testcard, UTP tester, 12v supply, Video Level meter etc etc PTZ analyzer, control.

Numbnuts..

see your tester, you wouldnt happen to know how to access the files on the machine to enable me to change the background to a picture with a company logo?

Its just that i am on my second one now as some little theiving scumbag decided to smash my van window and grab it from under the seat.

I have connected it up via usb cable but can only access the cctv folder showing recorded videos or pictures,

I asked the seller but it turns out I would have to buy 50 of them and they would help me change it,

thanks

The USB port s only for charging at least thats what I thought? I suppose it's a question of reading the manual but mine was missing the manual when it arrived from China. I got it sent as PDF but honestly I haven't read it yet. Perhaps I should be doing but who has the time?

ref Idaho man.

I have the 2nd item type of unit that you refer to. my preference would be to have as large a screen as possible to help focus cameras etc or view high frequency distortion etc which may be difficult to view on smaller screens.

There is a number of different models- I remember seeing a table indicating the differences. I Have the 896 model I think which has the fibre optic measurement option. I think I searched for 11 in 1 test monitor to get this function-the unit also has a digital multimeter which is handy. I am well pleased with mine only issue I have is the video measurement seems to be out, when showing a good balanced signal it reads 1180mv instead of 1000mv.

Bump.

What's new?

Seems all these test monitors are China, so I would not be willing to spend over around $150. Even that is steep, they are likely to break I'd imagine. Those of you have different models (Ex: The "orange" or the "blue"), how are they doing and how have they failed for you so far?

I bought the cheap little wrist monitor off Amazon and it's doing what I expected it to, but it does not have a recording capability. All other nice bells and whistles of the models mentioned above sure would be nice of course, except for the multimeter.

It's nioce to hgave several useful functions in one device however when it fails you lose all the function. As a matter of choice I bought the Blue series with 3.5 inch screen and multimeter, test cards clor bar, ehtrnet tester and tone generator, ping test, port flicker, USB tester, (not sure how that one works honestly).

I have had a problem with the screen beig scratched several times but that was really my own fault. The other issue I am having not sure it is anything more than a personal issue is that I can't seem to get a sharp focus using just the meter alone. I also can't read the OSD well enough to make camera settings when up a ladder in far from ideal lighting. That again I think is down to my failing eyesight ,

(I'll be 60 yrs in October) The best one I had was my 3.5 inch orange meter which served me well for 4 yrs until it started having a problem with VF cameras (flashing screen) and then the apprentice left the Ethernet test jack on the floor only to have the van run it over. The two together was enough to make me think about buying the latest blue one it's great but still too small screen that why I am considering.

For ethernet testing and BNC testing I have a Ideal VDV Pro test kit (similar to VDV Multimedia) with 8 remotes. I can identify up to eight bnc leads or ethernet cables and wire-map test the e-cables, I can test the cable lengths on all eight pairs or a single pair or single conductor (if I could be bithered to calibrate the length function)

The eight remotes are great when I am shown a site where the cables are already in but not labelled, I can withing 10-15 minutes map them out and label them up, test them for opens shorts and correct status, all in one. (no the remotes won't work with my orange meter).

I also an looking at a 7 inch screen with built in 4 way matrix. That would also allow me to visually 'stitch' adjacent cameras in a wide area especially useful where VF lenses are deployed. The point would be so when viewed on screen by the client the look like one continuous image. Obviously channel allocation would them become important in achieving this. i.e chnnels 123 or 456 or 78(9)

such as a long car park

Well, I'm considering the ST896 3.5", if it has the ability to record Audio and Video for later viewing of course. And If I can find it for under $150.

All these Chicom orange/blue TMs look the same. Are they all from the same manufacturing plant or what?

All these Chicom orange/blue TMs look the same. Are they all from the same manufacturing plant or what?

I'd like to bump my above question once more; I believe I am ready to order.

These models DO have a recording feature right? Didn't see anything in the description. Kinda useless without the ability to record A/V for later viewing.

Big thanks again.

IM

Alright, on the little orange/blue 3.5" testers I read the PDF manual. It specifically says not to leave it plugged in for charging, which is stupid. And I see absolutely no mention of a recording ability. So I certainly won't be getting any of those.

There is a 7" blue horizontal-style tester out there that has recording, but is very expensive for what is still a China toy($300+). Numbnuts had one in another thread. How's it work for you?

IM

Hi ,Dear ,

We are the professional manufacturer of CCTV Tester in Shenzhen ,China .

Now we have a best seller cctv tester which can test cvi ,ip (w/o poe),analog,ahd camera at the same time .

Are you interested in ?Hope i can help you .Do this cctv tester can meet all of your needs ?

My skype is wang.clare4

Please add me .Thanks very much .

Best regard

Clare