jordanb

Looking for a new test monitor

Hi,

Currently on the lookout for a new test monitor, as the old one at work is on its way out, poor screen, battery life etC.

I'm liking the look of the ones on eBay at the moment, the ones with the orange surrounds.

Does anyone have one of these? One of the ones that you can control ptz cams with, multimeter, 1a 12v output etc. If so what are they like and would you reccomend them?

I also saw a similar one, which has a blue surround, which can do ping tests, and tdr tests to show roughly where a fault could lie in a section of cable. Would it be worth the extra cash to purchase one of these ones?

Also can anyone reccomend a toner which I could use with cat5, alarm cable, and coax?

Thanks

I have BOTH of the ones you mention. There are pros and cons to having too many functions on one device. I have on my blue a tone generator and receiver, multimeter, ping test (very useful) test card and color bar generator (invaluable in fault finding, flikr test, cat5 tester Great unit I didn't do fiber optic so I didn't need the optical power meter, but it does have a video signal level meter. More importantly it doesn't get the display thrown into a frenzy when viewing cameras with intelligent IR which my orange one does.

It also has a 10x zoom and a single channel DVR so you can recoed what you view get approval by the client before closing up the junction box. The multimeter is invaluable and the ping tester allows you to find out what IP addresses are free in less than 30 seconds. without getting your laptop out.

It is worth the extra but if it goes wrong you will be stuck as I was when my orange one went "tits-up"

Some of the functions still work perfectly so I still keep it in the van That too has the multimeter.

Its called model HVT2603. If you order it from China and can afford to wait, often if it comes through the post no duty to pay but if it is delivered by one of the courier services a month o so later you get a tax and duty bill as they have to declare handling it. The Equivalent QVIS one is about double what I paid even with the tax and duty.

For cable tracing and testing I bought another very useful device. This really was a bargain and I find it invaluable

especially when I find myself at a switch/patch panel after installing cat6 outlets. I use it to prove all my cat5 and cat 6 cables `and even to test cables after installation before finding there is a broken conductor. (cat6 often)

I know that there are several function repeated but I like that because if one is ever damaged lost or stolen, I can keep working. Hope this has been a help PM me where are you?

Thanks for the information.

Would you say it would be worth going for the more expensive tester with the trd function, or would you say the toner that you have linked would do the job just as well?

Would you say it would be worth going for the more expensive tester with the trd function, or would you say the toner that you have linked would do the job just as well?

I'm wondering the same thing.... how effective it is at certifying cable. I do know that it uses TDR to measure cable length (and anomalies), so I think that alone would make it worth it....

Anyone have a link to the manufacturer site?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-4GB-HVT-2603T-3-5-CCTV-POE-TDR-IP-Tester-DVR-PTZ-Cable-Digital-Multimeter-/111224011559?pt=US_Surveillance_Monitors_Displays&hash=item19e577bb27

I don't think a remote terminator unit is included (scroll down to the bottom image)

I'm wondering the same thing.... how effective it is at certifying cable. I do know that it uses TDR to measure cable length (and anomalies), so I think that alone would make it worth it....

Anyone have a link to the manufacturer site?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-4GB-HVT-2603T-3-5-CCTV-POE-TDR-IP-Tester-DVR-PTZ-Cable-Digital-Multimeter-/111224011559?pt=US_Surveillance_Monitors_Displays&hash=item19e577bb27

I don't think a remote terminator unit is included (scroll down to the bottom image)

the test probe incorporates the remote in it which is a pain but it works just fine.

Thats why you don't see a remote pictured seperately. Well spottes but also if you have the orange test set,

and still have the remote that works with this one.also I tried mine and it works fine.

I just ordered the one I linked (the "T" model), thanks for the rec.

Great I didn't order that because I have no clue what TDR testing is and looking it up on the internet I was still left clueless?

Do YOU know what it is? The 2603 tester is the ideal model for a typical CCTV engineer, I rarely do Fiber and then I use a contractor so the optical power is no use to me, I have no idea what the TDR is like I said, The rest id perfect.

One feature I forgot to mention, is it has a TORCH. How useful I thought. We are always working in places that are dark and restricted, a torch is so handy.

I think the equivalent QVIS model costs just over double the price @ trade.

it stands for Time Domain Reflectometry - I don't understand it all that well but it is used to measure cable lengths, distance to fault (is the problem at this end or that?), etc. I've only seen it used in Micro Scanners (mid end & up) network scanners, and then I saw a device at ADI probably 10 years ago that all it'd do is measure cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-domain_reflectometry

It would be nice if this meter would certify cable 'cause my Fluke LAN650 meter only does 10/100.

I've been eyeballing microscanners now & then but I'm not going to get a new one until needed...

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-MS2-TTK-MicroScanner2-Termination/dp/B0013FGUQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402336587&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+scanner+fluke

I am not willing to spend that kind of money for equipment. I feel I can manage well enough with my existing equipment.

If I were doing structured wiring as a main job perhaps I would but I only sub and EVERYTHING I do is tested by someone else after I complete. I did get told off for using a cat5 RJ45 on a cat6 cable (yes it fitted) and was told to remove it and was given a cat6 RJ45 with staggered conductor loading bar. What a difference!

I just got the new meter, I was under the impression that I'd be able to view the IP cameras like the analog cameras through the portable display. Is that possible? I've played around with a few things including port flicker, ping tests, network scan, etc, and have only read a little of the manual so far.

I just got the new meter, I was under the impression that I'd be able to view the IP cameras like the analog cameras through the portable display. Is that possible? I've played around with a few things including port flicker, ping tests, network scan, etc, and have only read a little of the manual so far.

So far there is nothing readily available for ip to my knowledge but ip cameras often have a bnc port for pointing and focus setting.

Think about it, the IP camera would have to be attached to a network device or using a crossover cable directly to a portable PC.

Now my laptop isn't the best around bt I'm still not taking it up a ladder with me. there isa poe intercept device

There is one device called the AXIS T8414 Installation Display I don't know enough about it other than it's too expensive to warrant consideration.

the only thing that does (that I could tell) is analog video like the rest but it will power a POE camera through the ethernet port.

I've been enjoying the tester you recommended. I have 2 other similar (analog style), and many other various styles, but this is the one to get IMO... I especially like the IP Search feature - I was able to quickly id the network settings on an old NAS I had sitting around by noting the logged IP addresses with it plugged in vs unplugged.

I ordered another 'toy' to play with.... the Fluke Etherscope from ebay, but that's not exactly what this thread's about:

Probably just pack around a wifi router & use my phone to point I guess......, or there's usually 2 techs, and we sometimes just use phones anyway.

Won't be long before someone comes up with a crackin solution.

The one you mention is common to those wifi inspection cameras

that use your mobile smartphone as a viewer.

All you need is to download th app to your smartphone and you're in business.

249541_1.1

I was thinking more like wifi, but why not micro-usb to ethernet? (pwr the camera with a battery, & use a phone/tablet to view the camera)

249558_1.jpg

....might have to try that unless there's obvious problems I don't see....I have a micro usb to USB that lets me use a wired mouse w/ my samsung G4....

Looks like it might be a little work:

http://www.bobjgear.com/which-tablets-support-ethernet.html

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13118645/anybody-knows-the-truth-about-usb-to-rj45-connector-support-on-android-devices

Say you put a 12 volt battery in the carrying case similar to your HVT-2603, throw a wireless router in the bag (with a power switch and voltage regulator if needed), or try something like

this:

249558_2.jpg

So I assume these test-monitors can still run using the the AC adapter, not just on the battery. And that the battery has built-in charge-control so you can leave it plugged in and not worry about over-charge?

I viewed the other thread and saw a couple I am interested in..

I. http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-MONITOR-CAMERA-TESTER-RRLC200/dp/B005FIX5FE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401751714&sr=8-4&keywords=cctv+tester#productDetails

II. http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-CCTV-Installation-Maintenance-Monitoring/dp/B00DHCDL36/ref=pd_sbs_indust_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=160G449561JJEM43RMB9#productDetails

These test-monitors use a 3.7v Lithium battery, and have 12v output to the camera. I guess that means these cameras run on a range of voltages?

So I assume these test-monitors can still run using the the AC adapter, not just on the battery. And that the battery has built-in charge-control so you can leave it plugged in and not worry about over-charge?

I. http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-MONITOR-CAMERA-TESTER-RRLC200/dp/B005FIX5FE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401751714&sr=8-4&keywords=cctv+tester#productDetails

II. http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-CCTV-Installation-Maintenance-Monitoring/dp/B00DHCDL36/ref=pd_sbs_indust_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=160G449561JJEM43RMB9#productDetails

These test-monitors use a 3.7v Lithium battery, and have 12v output to the camera. I guess that means these cameras run on a range of voltages?

That seems very low price, but again would be limited in functionality but then I suppose you get what you are prepared to pay for.

I like to squeeze every last drop of juice out of my devices and although it's like having all the eggs in a single basket I prefer that in this case.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0&_nkw=HVT-2603&_sacat=0&_from=R40

That seems very low price, but again would be limited in functionality but then I suppose you get what you are prepared to pay for.

I like to squeeze every last drop of juice out of my devices and although it's like having all the eggs in a single basket I prefer that in this case.

The blue charger has a mini-usb charge port, stops charging when it's full from what I can tell (instructions say otherwise). I'd avoid the first one you linked, the ST893 (your second link) will suit you well.

The HVT-2603 (skip the one with the "t" at the end of the model #) does everything the ST893 does but has a tone generator, and also an IP Scan function that's really neat - select "scan" in the menu and it quickly lists all the IP devices on your network.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0&_nkw=HVT-2603&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The blue charger has a mini-usb charge port, stops charging when it's full from what I can tell (instructions say otherwise). I'd avoid the first one you linked, the ST893 (your second link) will suit you well.

The HVT-2603 (skip the one with the "t" at the end of the model #) does everything the ST893 does but has a tone generator, and also an IP Scan function that's really neat - select "scan" in the menu and it quickly lists all the IP devices on your network.

Don't you just love the IP scan function? It's a doozie

So,

These test-monitors can run on the the AC adapter?

Are they protected against over-charge?

I think so.....haven't tried that. Throw it on the charger between uses if the low battery indicator comes on. It charges fairly quickly and maintains a charge for a good amount of time.

As for overcharge protection, it seems to have it. There's a charge indicator that turns off once charged - the instructions warn against leaving it plugged in all the time though.

HTH.

I use the 895 model shown at bottom of page- both the 895 (multimeter capability) and 896 have fibre connector for measuring levels on fibre - which I have to do. but you can select from the range what you need- it doesn't have the ping test as described by others who have replied but it does have the cat5 dongle which allows you to test that cat5 is wired correct ie pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc and will tell you if they are mixed up ie pin 1 goes to 8 pin 2 goes to 6etc or if broken will show an "x".

the 12v dc has saved my bacon a few times when no mains available and spare battery is flat.

see :- ebay or if link is ended search for cctv test meter 10 in one or 11 in 1 or similar.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ST896-3-5-LCD-Monitor-CCTV-Camera-Video-PTZ-RS485-Tester-Optical-Power-Meter-/121169401344?tfrom=141201866631&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

post back and let us know how you go and if its any good.

some info on the TDR.

basically the signal travels at a certain speed down the cable, each cable will have a speed figure or co-efficient %speed of light or something, you punch this figure into the tdr for the cable type you are testing then attach the cable you want to test and press the button- a pulse is sent out and recorded - it will bounce off the end of the cable or be inverted if it comes across a short -the graph will show peaks at bad connections or where it meets resistance- then you use the cursor to move along the graph to get the distance for the anomaly.

But you need to know the cable route so you can identify where the fault is- if it shows a fault at 160m you need to be able to walk the cable route to the approximate point.- Not very good if your cables disappear straight into a roof and can go in any direction and you don't know the route.