axe1982

Multi Port NVR - Keeping Traffic Seperate

I am designing a multi camera system for the first time and looking at which NVR to pick. Based on the number of cameras and the amount of traffic on the existing network in the building I am going to put the cameras on a dedicated network.

I haven't seen any NVRs that have two ethernet ports on them. How do people usually handle this situation ? I would imagine it isn't uncommon to want to keep the camera network segregated from the data network, but the NVR needs to see both.

For example - data network is on one switch, with connection to internet on 192.168.1.X Camera network is on separate switch, no internet connection with 10.1.1.X addresses. Ideally the NVR could take traffic from the cameras on the 10 net, but present it's server side to the 192 net.

Any suggestions ?

Separate IP ranges do not minimize bandwidth or network load, they are just a logical separation of the traffic but the load is the same in fact it might be just slightly higher because of the overhead of each node having to filter the stuff from the other IP range. Are these on physically different cable runs or are they sharing the regular company network?

I haven't seen any NVRs that have two ethernet ports on them. How do people usually handle this situation ? I would imagine it isn't uncommon to want to keep the camera network segregated from the data network, but the NVR needs to see both.

You can order most NVR's with a secondary NIC, you just need to ask the manufacturer.

Alternatively you can usually add your own NIC, either an internal card or external USB NIC.

ssnapier - completely separate switches, cables, etc.... The networks are completely segregated - the camera traffic rides its own cabling and switching.

That is the root of my issue, since the cameras are on their own net with the NVR, there is no way to access the NVR since it is on the segregated network.

cbodbyl - I haven't seen any that have that option (looking at all the ones commonly referred on here - Dahua, Hikvision, etc...). Can you point me to a manufacturer or brand that supports this ?

ssnapier - completely separate switches, cables, etc.... The networks are completely segregated - the camera traffic rides its own cabling and switching.

That is the root of my issue, since the cameras are on their own net with the NVR, there is no way to access the NVR since it is on the segregated network.

How about installing second Network card for comp and then connect to NVR ?

cbodbyl - I haven't seen any that have that option (looking at all the ones commonly referred on here - Dahua, Hikvision, etc...). Can you point me to a manufacturer or brand that supports this ?

My mistake, I was referring to companies like Milestone, Genetec, Avigilon, Exacq, etc.

I'm not a big Dahua or Hik NVR user so maybe someone else on the forum can confirm this - I think, if you buy an NVR with a built in PoE switch that the PoE switch and LAN port on the NVR will act as two different network cards.

My experience with Razberi and Sentry360 serverswitches has been that the switch portion of the server is on its own network card. But again, I cannot confirm this for Dahua or Hik.

cbodbyl - Any recommendations amoung the ones you mentioned - I have been leaning towards the Dahua and Hik as they seem to be all anyone talks about on here

I am looking to support a 10 camera IP system, video quality is my #1 priority followed closely by ease of access (network and remote).

the Hikvision DS-96xx series had two nic cards.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/products.asp?cid=50271

and many of the Dahua professional series has two NIC as well, starting at the 58xx series.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr580858165832-301.html

Well the spec sheet is two gigabit interface, and the actually machine says 'lan 1 ' and 'lan 2'.

"I'm not a big Dahua or Hik NVR user so maybe someone else on the forum can confirm this - I think, if you buy an NVR with a built in PoE switch that the PoE switch and LAN port on the NVR will act as two different network cards"

Yes that is true at least for Hikvision NVR, the internal POE switch has a NIC address then whatever hikvision cameras you plug it in will be assigned under that setup, they market this as plug and play...which is a blessing and a curse because any normal computer cannot log in to the camera itself and upgrade firmware or change WDR settings without plugging into the Built-in POE switch of the NVR along with the cameras.