SB_Jim

Hikvision - Dynamic Analysis for Motion & Day/Night Switch

Hello,

While logged into my Hik bullet (3MP) -(as sold via Costco branded as Swann) - I notice two items in the Advanced Image menu that I am not familiar with.

1) Dynamic Analysis for Motion (a check-box below the Enable Motion check-box). How is this used, and what is to be expected by selecting the box?

2) Day/Night Switch Schedule. My options are Day, Night, Auto (which I'm using), and Schedule. When I select "Schedule", it displays an editable box for both Start and Finish. How does this work? Is this schedule used to tell the cam when I want it to switch from Day to Night (I.R. mode)?

3) Smart IR. What should I expect to have happen by selecting that box?

Thank you for your replies.

Jim

Dynamic analysis puts markers on the live video where it detects motion to help you fine-tune your motion detect parameters.

Day/night schedule tells it when to switch between the day profile and the night profile. This allows you to optimize the day image and night image separately.

I've never seen smart IR do anything on mine, but it may depend on what version of firmware you have. On my Dahua 4300S, you can see the IR LEDs get dimmer when objects get closer to the camera at night. This is what I'd expect it to do on the Hik.

Max,

Thank you! I'll give a try to each of them soon. Would love for the smart IR to be effective for close-up face shots.

Jim

Here are cut & pastes from the user manual:

Dynamic Analysis for Motion

Normal configuration adopts one set of parameter for motion detection during the day and at night.

Tasks:

1. Set the Motion Detection Area.

Steps:

(1)Enter the motion detection settings interface

Configuration > Advanced Configuration> Events > Motion Detection

(2)Check the checkbox of Enable Motion Detection.

(3)Check the checkbox of Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion if you want to mark the detected objects with green rectangles. Note: Select Disable for rules if you don’t want the detected objected displayed with the rectangles. Select disable from Configuration-Local Configuration-Live View Parameters-rules.

Day/Night Switch

Select the day/night switch mode, and configure the smart IR settings from this option.

Day, night, auto, schedule, and triggered by alarm input are selectable for day/night

switch.

Day: the camera stays at day mode.

Night: the camera stays at night mode.

Auto: the camera switches between the day mode and the night mode according to the illumination automatically. The sensitivity ranges from 0~7, the higher the value is, the easier the mode switches. The filtering time refers to the interval time between the day/night switch. You can set it from 5s to 120s.

Schedule: Set the start time and the end time to define the duration for day/night mode.

Triggered by alarm input: The switch is triggered by alarm input, and you can set the triggered mode to day or night.

Smart IR

Smart IR gives user an option to turn ON / OFF the IR LED. Set the smart IR to ON, and Auto and Manual are selectable for IR mode. Select AUTO, and the IR LED changes according to the actual luminance. E.g.: if the current scene is bright enough, then the IR LED adjusts itself to lower power; and if the scene is not bright enough, the IR LED adjusts itself to higher power. Select Manual, and you can adjust the IR LED by adjusting the distance. E.g.: If the object is near the camera, the device adjusts the IR LED to lower power, and the IR LED is in higher power if the object is far.

Here are cut & pastes from the user manual:

Dynamic Analysis for Motion

Normal configuration adopts one set of parameter for motion detection during the day and at night.

Tasks:

1. Set the Motion Detection Area.

Steps:

(1)Enter the motion detection settings interface

Configuration > Advanced Configuration> Events > Motion Detection

(2)Check the checkbox of Enable Motion Detection.

(3)Check the checkbox of Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion if you want to mark the detected objects with green rectangles. Note: Select Disable for rules if you don’t want the detected objected displayed with the rectangles. Select disable from Configuration-Local Configuration-Live View Parameters-rules.

Day/Night Switch

Select the day/night switch mode, and configure the smart IR settings from this option.

Day, night, auto, schedule, and triggered by alarm input are selectable for day/night

switch.

Auto: the camera switches between the day mode and the night mode according to the illumination automatically. The sensitivity ranges from 0~7, the higher the value is, the easier the mode switches. The filtering time refers to the interval time between the day/night switch. You can set it from 5s to 120s.

Schedule: Set the start time and the end time to define the duration for day/night mode.

Triggered by alarm input: The switch is triggered by alarm input, and you can set the triggered mode to day or night.

Smart IR

Smart IR gives user an option to turn ON / OFF the IR LED. Set the smart IR to ON, and Auto and Manual are selectable for IR mode. Select AUTO, and the IR LED changes according to the actual luminance. E.g.: if the current scene is bright enough, then the IR LED adjusts itself to lower power; and if the scene is not bright enough, the IR LED adjusts itself to higher power. Select Manual, and you can adjust the IR LED by adjusting the distance. E.g.: If the object is near the camera, the device adjusts the IR LED to lower power, and the IR LED is in higher power if the object is far.

stroonzo,

Thank you VERY much for providing this. This information is not contained in my NVR manual, nor the camera's brief instruction book. Where did you find it?

I think they're all fairly clear to me, but I need some clarification on this:

"Set the start time and the end time to define the duration for day/night mode." If I'm using the switching Schedule, is it implied that the default is DAY, and that the Start & Finish times to be set are therefore applicable to "Night" mode?

Thank you. And, by the way, have you played w/ these at all? What was your experience?

Jim

My cameras came with a CD with the user manual in PDF. Shoot me your email in a PM and I will send you a copy of it. The manual is written for and covers a wide range of cameras.

Dynamic analysis puts markers on the live video where it detects motion to help you fine-tune your motion detect parameters.

Day/night schedule tells it when to switch between the day profile and the night profile. This allows you to optimize the day image and night image separately.

I've never seen smart IR do anything on mine, but it may depend on what version of firmware you have. On my Dahua 4300S, you can see the IR LEDs get dimmer when objects get closer to the camera at night. This is what I'd expect it to do on the Hik.

Maxicon,

I like what I saw in my new cam re: smart IR. A camera at my front door always stays in Day mode because at night, the door light is sufficient for color. But, the color image isn't as good as the IR is under those circumstances. I don't really want the IR showing to passers-by, and with smart IR ON, the camera displays in night mode, but w/o any percieved ir glow. So I'm guessing that the smart is "smart enough" to know not to add any more of its own!

Conceptually I undertand the concept of "schedule" w/ regard to Day / Night. However, I still don't understand how to know exactly what I'm scheduling. If it's daytime while I'm creating the schedule, is the schedule used to define Start / End of IR? Or, conversely, if it's nighttime while I'm programming (and I'm already in night mode), am I creating a schedule to switch from IR to day mode? I'm desiring to have the IR ON from 20:30 PM thru 05:45 a.m.

Thx for any clarification.

Jim

One of the config tabs lets you choose profiles - day and night. I don't have the screens in front of me, but they're easy to find.

You set your parameters however you want in the day and night profiles, and it changes between those profiles at the scheduled times.

The manual may help with this as well.

One of the config tabs lets you choose profiles - day and night. I don't have the screens in front of me, but they're easy to find.

You set your parameters however you want in the day and night profiles, and it changes between those profiles at the scheduled times.

The manual may help with this as well.

Thank you. I'll have to log in to a cam again and check, but when I selected "schedule", it only then displayed one Start field and one Stop field. Thus, my confusion about what it is that I am starting and stopping. It would be easier for me if I did see one field related to DAY and another for NIGHT.

Our commrade "stroonzo" provided the following text from the manual:

"Day/Night Switch

switch.

Triggered by alarm input: The switch is triggered by alarm input, and you can set the triggered mode to day or night"

It just wasn't clear enough for me to know definitively.

Jim

I logged in to one of the cams and this is what I believe it's asking for (implying) re: schedule. There is one Start, and one Stop. This apparently applies to scheduling DAY mode. By default, the remaining hours will be NIGHT mode. I'm making use of this feature in three of my cams, and one (shown) is the least intuitive. See below:

The other two cams were more simple as I scheduled them for DAY from a given time in the morning until a given time in the evening. However, in the example above, I'm asking for color beginning at 5 a.m., and lasting until 1:30 a.m. the following morning. In other words, I want IR only from 1:30 a.m. thru 5:00 a.m. If nothing else, it'll be a good test!

1399783854_CAM8Day-NightSchedule.JPG.d0b344662cabee31624ceca74841825c.JPG

I have a problem with day / night

my hik cameras stay on night mode too much. This means it is bright enough for day mode but after the night they not switch easy.

what shall i change for the cameras to stay more on day mode. Only when very dark in the room I want to switch to night mode.

You'll need to access the web interface built into the camera in order to set a specific / desired schedule to control when the IR is active.

There are quite a few threads on this site on how to log into your camera to do this. I'm probably not the best one to offer advice on this, but there are several knowledgable persons on this site who are.

Good luck - I think you'll find a solution.

Jim