bryanviper

Outdoor Ethernet Security Camera suggestions for Canada?

Hello All,

After a hit and run on my car at the beginning of this year and not knowing who it was I would like to invest in a Security Camera to be pointed toward my car at my home. I have been looking around and I would like a good camera that will will in Canadian winters. I have heard of some cameras getting to cold and not working when temps reach -15c. I'm in Toronto and this past winter we had a few days where the temperature hit -25c & I would need a camera that can handle that.

I would like it to have good quality 720p is good no need for 1080p

I would like to get video/power through Ethernet (dont want to run a power line)

Also be able to easily view it online over my cell phone and computers.

I have come across units like this which I really like however not sure if it can handle the cold weather or not.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/d-link-dcs-2310l-hd-poe-weatherproof-d7-79827-1448.htm

This one would be good but I heard it wont work in cold weather but again the features are what i'm looking for - http://www.ncix.com/detail/d-link-dcs-7010l-hd-mini-bullet-5c-79832-1448.htm

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The first item you linked to is IP65 rated. That would make me a little nervous to put it out in potentially harsh weather conditions. I've also never really never even seen a camera in that style that wasn't exclusively intended for indoor use; also kind of concerning to me.

The second item you linked to says -25 C to 50 C. That seems to meet your specifications on temperature and if you like everything else it has to offer, I'm not really seeing the problem. If you heard that the -25 C tolerance is false, that's something else entirely. They seem to have left out the IP rating as well so who knows what kind of weather it's made to stand up in.

I don't really have any suggestions for you since I'm not located in Canada and I'm admittedly not familiar with the retailers there.

As far as D-Link and their cameras are concerned, the review on this camera says it all for me. They work just fine, but it never seems to be for as long as the alternatives in the same spec and price range. That seems to be even more true with their outdoor models.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Even if you have suggestions of cameras in the USA that is fine, because If I find something I like from your suggestions then I will just order from the USA.

The first item you linked to is IP65 rated. That would make me a little nervous to put it out in potentially harsh weather conditions. I've also never really never even seen a camera in that style that wasn't exclusively intended for indoor use; also kind of concerning to me.

The second item you linked to says -25 C to 50 C. That seems to meet your specifications on temperature and if you like everything else it has to offer, I'm not really seeing the problem. If you heard that the -25 C tolerance is false, that's something else entirely. They seem to have left out the IP rating as well so who knows what kind of weather it's made to stand up in.

I don't really have any suggestions for you since I'm not located in Canada and I'm admittedly not familiar with the retailers there.

As far as D-Link and their cameras are concerned, the review on this camera says it all for me. They work just fine, but it never seems to be for as long as the alternatives in the same spec and price range. That seems to be even more true with their outdoor models.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Even if you have suggestions of cameras in the USA that is fine, because If I find something I like from your suggestions then I will just order from the USA.

Bryan I am in Edmonton

and I use HIK and Avigilon all the time

No problem with minus temperature

Had customers of my daughter in the cooler parts of the U.S. tell me they hit -22f this winter with no problems with their Hikvision cameras. Not as cold where she is, only -15f in Chicago. If you plan on going real cold, consider the Axis P33 series domes, they have heaters/fans inside, good for -40C/F.

So what happens you ask, at least from the coldest parts of So California, is the cameras stop working for the time they get too cold but start working again when it warms up and have not seen permanent damage from freezing. I see this happen all the time at mountain webcams in So Cal where it does not get Canada cold, but certainly cold enough to freeze that D-Link. Really was bad this winter for us, lots of 90F+ degree days. I felt cheated because I put my boat in dry-dock to avoid having snow sink it and all winter we may have gotten 1" where normal is about 4'. Did not make for a happy ski season this year.

Hey bryanviper, I'm in Oakville and I've installed thousands of cameras in the GTA without any issues. Just make sure they're IP66 rated with a minimum -20c temperature rating.

I have mixed feelings about D-Link >

http://zeecure.com/reviews/cameras/d-link-dcs-7513-ip-bullet-camera/

http://zeecure.com/reviews/cameras/d-link-dcs-2230-wireless-camera/

Axis would be a good choice. If you're on a budget Hikvision is good bang for your buck.