Sign in to follow this  
ncpilot

help with system design and what should I buy?

Couldn't come up with a better subject line...

Here's what I want to do, and bear in mind this is not a professional application...

I'd like to have at least 2 outdoor color cams to post pictures and possibly have a live streaming option for a weather station website.

In addition, I'd like to have some cams for home security purposes (indoor and outdoor)--could go B&W, but color is nice. This implies recording ability, either time-lapse or motion detection.

Remote access necessary for all cams.

Still a bit uncertain of the pros/cons of using a DVR card/computer combo versus something like an IP video server (Axis 24x type, but too much $$, or the StarDot Express 6).

I like the idea of a standalone IP server, somehow it seems more robust than using a computer since it has a dedicated function and the software/OS is designed with that in mind as opposed to a PC with Windows OS which has to be multi-functional.

OTOH, in order to save any images from a server, I'd still need a local machine, or upload to a webspace....

I used to be amused at all the posts in the home theater forums about guys having terabyte storage servers, but not any more... storing HD programming is about 8 GB per 1 hour show... could be useful for storing video surveillance...

But I digress... I built a PC for home theater use, but it's being way underutilized. I do use it for recording HD network programs, and have tried to use it as a DVD/audio server, but it's a bit too much trouble right now. It also serves as my link to my weather station for uploading to my webspace.

Probably too much crap on it already for use as a DVR solution.

If I go the computer DVR card route, I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and build another PC...

So far, after reading as much as I can stand in this forum, overall the Mace Cam53CIR looks like a good entry point for the exterior color cams... (I guess that might indicate my price points?)

Beyond that, I'm open for suggestions...

I don't necessarily have a budget in mind, but obviously if you get too high in pricing I could just get someone to install something--kinda want to get involved in the DIY aspect of it all... and of course I can do this in pieces to see how it all works, and to spread out the costs.

Thanks in advance--this truly seems to be a forum where most everyone knows what they're talking about...

So how many cameras total? With the 2 outdoor cameras if not for security..are they for the weather channel?? Also are those 2 not at your home or business?? What do you want to be able to see? What is the lighting like where you want to point the cameras outside? Is vandalism an issue? For the installers on here what is your price range or budget because I can help design a system but for cost you need to talk to the pro's.

I would not buy that cam.............better onbes available for your money.

your solution lies in the Video Insight VJ120 card (16 CAM software) and the Video Insight IP software.both of these integrate into 1 WEB server available for viewing via any browser (no plugin). Yes you have to build a Server, and may be able to integrate into your "tivo" server. you'd need a free PCI slot, and XP Pro, and a processor that will meet your camera demands.....

ie. 16 cams at 640x480 = 3.2Ghz 840. or 320x240 = 3.0Ghz 560 (775) these are max'd out estimates.if you need specific pm me.

as far as storage, just add a USB hard drive and call it the day. One thing about the software is you can "call" a specific camera into a WEB site for live viewing.

that's just the tip of the features.

camera's (IP & Analogue)? power supply? cable? APC/UPS?

IP cam? I just started playing with the Toshiba IK11A and it is pretty nice in terms of quality via the net. 2 of these would be a painless install and would integrate easily into the Video Insight IP solution.

Analogue Cams? you need to be specific in your mounting locations. ie.

I'm not too far from Wilmington, 5 hours. Retired from Camp Lejeune 18 months ago and have a Son attending College up there, spending my money. Maybe you can give me a good reason to visit that apartment I am paying for? I started training him last year so he is good at pulling cable

I do sell and install Video Insight products so beware that I come with good intentions but love the product! PM me and I will be glad to advise or help. My Son can also help you if you want. He does a fair job at hanging Cams also. anyway, PM me for more...............

All cameras will be at my house.

I have a weather station (fun/hobby) in my back yard that for now throws up a simple webpage on one of my free Earthlink accounts. I'd like to add a couple of camera views of the weather--static images that when clicked on could provide live streaming for example. They don't need to be particularly high resolution, nor night capable, in fact, for streaming, I, like most people with normal broadband service, wouldn't really have enough upstream rate for a hi-res streaming image at any decent frame rate.

Vandalism is not an issue.

I've got 2 IP cams already, a DLink DCS-900W, and Veo Observer XT, both wireless, that I can observe remotely over the web. I've played with some software that will grab a static JPG from IP cams, but haven't really been satisfied, and concluded that I needed something more robust. I do use the Veo to observe the interior of the house, and actually get a half decent frame rate when viewing at work.

Don't have any motion sensing capability at this point, so it's not really a security solution. Surprisingly perhaps, I've had very good wireless uptime with both cams, and the flexibility of placement from day to day is fun, but I figure a wired system is the way to go.

For exterior security cams, I'd like something to monitor the front and back doors, both of which have overhead 40W porch lights which are automated but not photocell activated (there's no lack of lighting around my house )

Maybe another one that would look out towards the driveway. I've got 2 light fixtures on the garage that each have 40 W bulbs (that's the HOA spec for exterior lighting BTW, max 40W). I also have a street light at the end of my driveway.

I bet I've got more than enough light to eliminate the need for an IR capable cam...

VST_Man, are you allowed to pimp your product like that???

And here I thought I'd get me an eBay Geovision knockoff card...... Just kidding...

BTW, I do like the idea of not needing a friggin browser plugin to do remote viewing. Don't use IE, don't want ActiveX, etc...

My current PC has slots open, but is running XP Home, and has an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz (but you know that's somewhat meaningless for AMD and comparison to Intel chips). With the new duo-core chips out, maybe we'll see a nice price drop for the "old" stuff...

Enough for now... thanks for the input.

You could look at the Geo GV250, works in almost any system. I got it in my 2Ghz AMD with Via Chipset, 512MB DDR. It comes in 4+ channels also.,. but im using the 2 channel. Same Geo software as you would get with the more expensive cards. Speed is good, quality is great, even for such a cheap card. Worth a try if you just need something basic but also want all the bells and whistles. Has a Java Applet for the browser as well as the ActiveX, but the ActiveX is much better quality. You could also use the Remote Client, or the one i created, which ofcourse I prefer.

I run it on my main PC and have tons of other things running at the same time, with 2 cameras it is fine ... when you play large movies Id recommend exiting it though, but of you have a faster PC than mine i guess would be okay ..

Like he said, maybe look at another camera, something with better quality, if you dont need IR, just get a regular color camera.

Rory

hey, you asked so I answered. and what's nice about this forum is that if I type something crazy it will receive a nice bashing. I have not sold anything to anyone via this forum, but I will recommend what I believe is the best.

take a look at the Toshiba......for the money it provides one heck of a nice pic....both day and night (shutter speed can be manually adjusted for fantastic night pics). Video Insight.........once I set up a Demo it sells it's self.

The IKWB11A's are nice for the price and simple to install. To bad they discontinued the IKWB01A's almost the exact same camera for almost half the price.