Sign in to follow this  
snowyy

Cable routing

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:00 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Just bought some cctv cameras that I should receive next week. I'm just trying to figure out the best way of setting everything up. My plan was to put the DVR in the loft and have a hdmi cable going from that to the tv in the bedroom. I was originally thinking of just using cable clips to secure the cable to the outside of the building and then get them into the loft somehow however I was wondering if I could conceal the cable via the fascia's.

The fascia's look to be just above the ceiling but from the outside it looks like the beginning of the roof. I've been into the loft but can't get anywhere near the base of the roof. Is it a case of drilling a hole into the fascia and hoping I don't hit any cables or pipes in the loft and then pushing the cable up and hoping it comes up somewhere I can get hold of it? The loft hatch is about 3mtr above the landing floor and the soffit looks to be just slightly higher than the landing floor.

http://media.diynot.com/208000_207872_79052_23002101_thumb.jpg

http://media.diynot.com/208000_207872_79053_62543990_thumb.jpg

http://media.diynot.com/208000_207872_79054_30910787_thumb.jpg

http://media.diynot.com/208000_207872_79055_61261508_thumb.jpg

You may want to hire an experienced electrician or off duty "old time" security system installer. Both would have experience at running new wires in existing construction and would be able to hide the wires if at all possible.

They also have tools to detect existing wires/pipes so they don't drill into them and have special wire running tools like 5 foot drill bits, fish tapes, etc.

You guys are discovering that CCTV is NOT plug and play, someone has to install it and although many people

think that CCTV installers don't add value we are all sitting here and laughing because we all already know the answer to your problem.

Firstly it's unlikely there will be cables or pipes running in the eaves, and if there are you need to simply be gentle when breaking through into the eaves. Many roofs are definitely too shallow to get into the edges near the eaves and there are three solutions to your problem, the third being call in a pro to assist you.

I have often been out to help DIYers with their own install when things got tough, and I don't charge extra just my normal rate for my time. Reasons often given are working at heights worries me, I can't get into the roof space, I cant get the cable to go over the roof (YUK) and several others. It's often a great pleasure to help such people as they accept there are things a pro can do that they can't but still want to get involved. Some people just want the setup putting on the internet and haven't a clue, some want the DVR commissioning properly, some want someone to show them how to do it.On one occasion, I was asked by the wife of a DIYer to finsh his job. He had broken his arm and sprained his ankle falling off the ladder (which was unsafe anyway) and she paid me to do it. He watched and was very keen to be involved

I am not trying to scare you or anything but accept there will be things you can do and things you can't.

Struggling while working at height is dangerous so do take extra care and have someone there to hold

the ladder for you.

Hope it all works out well for you.

TIP if you are using those "gadawful ready made cables", be sure which end you are feeding through, because one end goes to the camera and the other goes to the DVR and they are NOT the same. Clue look at the DC connector

It's not that I don't want an electrician to install or help me install it is mainly due to cost, although I do appreciate that the extra money is worth it in the long run for more stress free and potentially better installed system. If someone was goign to charge me £100 to fit the 5 cameras and fit the system I would be happy for that but the quotes I've had so far are all over £1000, my camera systerm cost me £400 which might not be a lot of money but it is the best I can afford at the moment maybe get a better system in the future when I haven't got so many out goings. If you are free numb-nuts and charge a competitive price I would be happy to have your experience fit/help to fit.

It's not that I don't want an electrician to install or help me install it is mainly due to cost, although I do appreciate that the extra money is worth it in the long run for more stress free and potentially better installed system. If someone was goign to charge me £100 to fit the 5 cameras and fit the system I would be happy for that but the quotes I've had so far are all over £1000, my camera systerm cost me £400 which might not be a lot of money but it is the best I can afford at the moment maybe get a better system in the future when I haven't got so many out goings. If you are free numb-nuts and charge a competitive price I would be happy to have your experience fit/help to fit.

I'll PM you later this evening

Hi try install yourself lots of help here .

Yes to a point analog is plug and play and has been for 50 60 years

Numb ---- don't know if you looked at his photos It's just over 6ft ....... Broken this broken that so don't think that can happen.

Also . I can see point of cable entry from photos so it would only take a few minutes to get cables anywhere along that route.

At the end of the day the forum is here to help ...... It does not take work away from installers ........ But the forum is more than just about dahua and hikvision of late.

Nothing wrong with a DIYer to have a go ....... And lots of help on here .

Just take a look at your very first post ....... You learned from forums

Drilled a hole in the soffit and tried using those fibre glass rods to pull the cable up but I can't thread the rods up. I've been back in the loft and looking down where the tiles are there is a block of wood about 1.5 mtrs down preventing me from bringing any cable in so I'm not sure what to do. I got an electrician out to assess it and to give me an estimate to do the job and he said it would take a full day to try and pull the cables and then it could go either way so perhaps two days!!! he said that we would have to potentially clip the cable around the house and then go in through the wall and floor boards.

£400 is an okay budget for equipment without installation. For a home user you probably got quite a good

system, at least I hope so.

Well now the hard work has begun wish you loads of luck, don't go falling off any ladders and injuring yourself.

250334_1.1250334_2.1250334_3.1