Sign in to follow this  
syntax

Surveilance for a riding facility

Hello,

I've been asked to review the surveillance system at my friends riding facility. There are still three cameras mounted but the owners cant review whether they are still working since the monitor doesnt work anymore. As far as i could tell after a short glance at the moment they are using regular wired cameras with a DVR and ~3 Days of Playback Time.

What i need now are:

- 5 new cameras (weatherproof)

- possibly a new DVR or even an Home Server

Setting up the cameras isnt my problem, but since there are really a lot of models to choose from i guessed it would be the best to also consider some expert's opinions.

Here's an image of the facility:

250393_1.jpg

The red lines mark the entrances of the hall, which is where the camera, either 1.1 and 2.1 or 1.2 and 2.2 will be pointing at.

The Distance between 1.1 and the entrance is ~50-55m.

The Distance between 1.2 and the entrance is ~20-25m.

The Distance between 2.1 and the entrance is ~40-45m.

The Distance between 2.2 and the entrance is ~20-25m.

The Cameras 3-5 should each cover about 20-30m of hallway.

The requirments for the cameras:

- weatherproof (there will be -°C in the Winter, but every camera is sheltered from rain.)

- Wireless or Wired, i guess wired would be the better option here. If wired then the distance between the furthest camera (1.1) and the office would be around 100-150m depending on the acutal way.

- The cameras should have a motion sensor

- good value for money (not the cheapeast but not 500€/700$ per camera)

Requirements for the Server/DVR:

- Saving the feeds of 8 cameras for at least three days

- The User will be someone who seriously doesnt have a clue from computers, so all he need to do should be switching on his monitor and maybe choose between the camera feeds.

Thats why i would eithter set up a litte linux or windows home server with the camera manufacturers software or an open software, depending on what works best.

Finally, if you have any questions or if there is anything i missed simply ask

What are they needing protection/surveillance for?

What has happened at their facility or at other riding facilities for which they need surveillance?

Is there an insurance company requirement for a surveillance camera system? If yes, what does the insurance company require?

The cameras are for convenience of the Owner and to check which User hasnt done his obligations (e.g cleaning)

Furthermore, the Cameras are there to get a general view on the facility since horses are of great value.

As far as I know there are no requirements given by the insurance company.

Since this is for a business, I will always recommend IP cameras as long as their budget isn't extremely limited. You can get good IP PoE cameras for under $200 a piece and a DVR for under $300. For the longer runs, use an Ethernet extender. I would recommend a Hikvision NVR with Hikvision fixed domes with appropriate lens depending on the shot you need.

Hikvision has some interesting cameras. But why should i choose Dome Cameras over Bullet? The Cameras are either up high (3-8m) so nobody can get to them anyway and the asthetics arent important, since the owner has to state that his property is being surveilled anyway and the people may as well know where the cameras are.

So, how about the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I combined with the Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P. I'm still not quite sure whether a NVR is better than a PC/NAS, but I'll have to check if the current cameras will work with either.

The only Problem there may be with that brand is its availabilty in Germany, but I'll see if there is a trustworthy reseller, that'll deliver to Germany.

Furthermore, I'll have to check whether a 12mm Lens in combination with a 1/3" Sensor and 16:9 resolution is apropriate for the distance of 50m, the calculated Lens should be a 18mm Lens or even wider with 4:3.

Hikvision has some interesting cameras. But why should i choose Dome Cameras over Bullet? The Cameras are either up high (3-8m) so nobody can get to them anyway and the asthetics arent important, since the owner has to state that his property is being surveilled anyway and the people may as well know where the cameras are.

With bullet cameras employees can figure out the dead spots , with dome if its shaded its close to impossible to tell where camera is pointing, unless they see IR light when cameras operate in the dark.

So, how about the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I

This is expensive cameras. You really need 3megapixel cameras with resolution 2048×1536px?

If your stable looks like this then you will have many dead spots with 1 camera covering big hangar.

It will only cover passage in the middle and few horse cages that are close to the camera, will will be dead zone.

I think you need to go buy less expensive cameras like 1MP - 1.5MP no more than $60-$80 piece tops, and put like 8-16 cameras to cover more area like this.

I'm still not quite sure whether a NVR is better than a PC/NAS, but I'll have to check if the current cameras will work with either.

NVR is like DVR but for IP cameras, PC/NAS is basically file server you attach to your computer network you can set up cameras to save data on this server, but you need some software to monitor footage and make it accessible remotely with phone/ home computer. So you would also need to have computer connected to NAS server also.

The only Problem there may be with that brand is its availabilty in Germany, but I'll see if there is a trustworthy reseller, that'll deliver to Germany.

If you buy system with like 10+ cameras and DVR you can order directly from manufacturer (China) and will get probably half price that they sell each camera retail that's why it makes more sense to build larger system for you.

Furthermore, I'll have to check whether a 12mm Lens in combination with a 1/3" Sensor and 16:9 resolution is apropriate for the distance of 50m, the calculated Lens should be a 18mm Lens or even wider with 4:3.

Lens only provides magnification and angle 12 mm is widesr angle at closer distance, 18mm is smaller angle at further distance.

Sensor records whatever picture lens provides 1MP sensor will record 1280x720px and 3MP sensor will record 2048x1536px from same lens.

You can cameras with varifocal lens 6-12mm it should be what you need.

3.jpg.8fd2a1323d6fff5992c4e21168a97ef1.jpg

5.png.a3e7cf90481ce6c048454ea634f4f3be.png

1.thumb.png.836e15c21b23972c36bf1229e9e21a9b.png

Hello,

I've contacted Hikvison, let's see how many items I'll have to buy in order for them to ship them either to an individual or company.

Regarding the resolution:

The price difference between the DS-2CD2012-I (1,3MP) and the DS-2CD2032-I (3MP) is about 5€/7USD in favor of the 1,3MP version,some times that version is even more expensive, possibly because it's smaller.

If you have other suggestions for the cameras (140$ per camera tops), then please help me out here.

Furthermore, the current Video Recorder is for analog cameras only and those should remain there since there is really nothing wrong with them. But now I either need an Hybrid DVR, of which I can't find Hikvisions only model, or a DVR and I'll have to combine both recorders so that the owner can review both feeds as easily as possible. Are there other good brands for Hybrid DVRs which will work neatly with Hikvision and without some complicated software?

I've talked to the owner and they'll contact their insurance company to check whether they'll provide discounts if there are cameras and how they have to be positioned.

Here's another picture of the facility with the positions. The Cameras 3, 4, 6 and 8 are the current analog ones which should remain in their places, but maybe their positions and angle have to be adjusted, but that's another topic.

250952_1.jpg

It isnt really possible to set up diagonal cameras in every hall with horse cages because of the way the facilty was build (low crossbeams and high gates etc.) so you would only see some cages but not more than with straight cameras in the hallways. Plus everyone who want to access a horse will have to walk through one of the cameras anyway since that the only place where you can actually open the cages.

Why he wants old cameras i imagine their quality is poor, are they old just convince him to upgrade to digital.

If you already have analog DVR and owner is fine with quality he's getting then why not just buy few more analog cameras for it or it can only support 4?

Its difficult to tell whats best for your situation without actually seeing inside of the building. Perhaps if you want to just cover passages in between then you could use high resolution cameras 2-3MP the way you showed in first post seems the best.

Not sure if there are DVR + NVR hybrids, but you should be able to use personal computer to combine both and it has more control software to chose from.