Sign in to follow this  
cayocrazy

Howdy!

Hi everyone,

Ian here, and a total newbie to the CCTV scene. Looking to install a surveillance system for my home here in Orlando, FL. I have to apologize right off the bat for my lack of knowledge when it comes to this stuff. Please bear with me. I've been looking around your forums for a couple weeks now, and I have to say that I really dig how helpful everyone is to one another. It's a refreshing thing to see in this crazy mixed-up world.

I'm looking to spend less than $1500 (less than $1000 if I can get away with it) on a complete system. Here's what I'm looking for...

1) High Def - need to be able to see faces

2) IP or HD SDI - I don't really know which to go with. Maybe a little enlightenment? Can i get HD in analog to make things cheaper?

3) 8 camera minimum - hopefully something expandable

4) Remote viewing from cell phone or another computer (seems to be standard these days from what I can tell)

5) I have some areas that the cabling will need to reach around 150-200ft.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide. With that said, I'm off to go learn a bit more about all this stuff.

Cheers!

1. As to conventional analog cameras, say VGA, D1, and WD1(960H), TV signal (NTSC, PAL) is being used for transmitting/ receiving its captured video data over coax cable. But there is no fixed standard yet for trans/receiving such a large amount of HD video data in real time. HD-in analog may mean to HD-CVI type from Daihua. I understand Hikvision is also launching its own communication technology. It would take a while for the CCTV industry to get one standard, HD-in analog. Currently, they over-state that it could go up to 500 meter. But I do not buy that, as I tested it and failed with a rather cheap 200 meter cable which is being used for the conventional analog cameras. They may need a high quality special pure copper cable.

2.There is another type of technology, so called, HD-SDI, a SerDes technology. It uses high speed Serial TX and De-serial RX, field proven at the studios of broadcasting TV station. But a bit more expansive than HD-in analog explained above. But OK with conventional cables up to 70 meter.

3. And finally, HD-IP camera can be used. Huge HD Video data is to be compressed in less than 10 Mbit per second, which can be, then, delivered over LAN cable. Its drawback is time lag- spot previewing can not be in real time. A single bit loss can lead to a video loss of at least 1 second duration.

3. Buy a 16 Ch DVR for future expansion. Hybrid type can be your option, when you can add cheaper analog cameras, later on.

4. For all technology explained, cabling of 150ft or 200ft in distance does not present any problems.

5. Higher resolution counts but the video quality depends on good lens with being focused correctly, I believe.