FrankenPC

Looking for POE IP camera system advice

Hi. Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

If anyone knows of a good pre-existing thread I should read, please link.

I'm looking for the following features:

* HD, 720P minimum

* Night vision w/IR light source

* Will build a dedicated PC for monitoring/storage using a software package like: Foscam Blue Iris. What would the specs be?

* Would like motion detection capabilities. Not absolutely necessary if I can buffer a weeks video.

* Start with 4 cameras

* No wireless. Only CAT5 cable with POE hub.

Quality is not paramount as I can purchase camera spares should one fail. But decent day/night quality is a desired feature. Such as detecting license plate during the day within 30-60 ft of the cameras.

Any suggestions/helpful hints regarding products and best places to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

For ip cameras to your spec, you have a lot of choices.

What price range per camera are you thinking?

Some good ip cameras in the lower range are

Duhua, Geo Vision, Hikvision and Vivotek.

I have used Geo Visions on a few occasions in my side work and have found them to be good bang for the buck.

Currently I'm doing a job that has 25 Brickcoms and 20 or so Advidias.

I have used the Advidias before and they're ok (I believe they're OEMd by Hikvision) but I'm pretty impressed with the Brickcoms. They may be a little over budget though for a home project but they're far from the high price end.

For ip cameras to your spec, you have a lot of choices.

What price range per camera are you thinking?

Some good ip cameras in the lower range are

Duhua, Geo Vision, Hikvision and Vivotek.

Definitely low end. $100 price range/camera. Also, they have to be compatible with common PC monitoring apps like Blue Iris. Is that ONVIF compatibility maybe?

ALTHOUGH, I might consider a hybrid approach. For instance, use two slightly better cams for the front of the house so I can get good imaging of the street. Whereas the side/rear house cams can be cheaper.

For instance Hikvision Exir DS-2CD2332-I (these look really good actually):

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-Turret-Weatherproof-Camera/dp/B00GYHEG0S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405133267&sr=8-3&keywords=Hikvision

And for the side/rear, something like this DAHUA IPC-HDW2100:

http://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Megapixel-Infrared-Security-Surveillance/dp/B00HG137OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405133864&sr=8-1&keywords=Dahua+poe+security+camera