kandcorp

IR Illuminator "Golden State Instrument"

I am in need of a IR illuminator for LPR. Camera is a Full Body

1/3" Sony, 420TVL. Camera is in a housing 15ft off the ground about 65-75 feet from where the entrance to this place is and where it is aimed now.

I can get this one at a really good price. Anyone have any experiences with these? How do the specs look?

GS-6400 IL

1/4" COLOR INFRARED ILLUMINATOR

60 LED / 45 degree Transmission Angle

12 vdc / 600 mA (Auto-On/Off at 20 Lux)

Includes: Extension Pigtails with M/F Connectors, Transformer and Wall-Ceiling Mounting Bracket

Am I just going to waste my time with something like this. Should I just use Extreme Ill's.

Here is the www link: http://www.goldenstateinst.com/cameras.html

GS-6400ILt.jpg

Dont know if this helps but here is a shot from that cam:

35224_1.png

Yea, I tried selling him a 480 day/night and a 520 Day/Night explaining to him that this is absolutely needed for LPR but he is very very cheap.

At night, the shot is completely black.

Oh, and there is a 5-100mm AI lens on that cam

Heres another day shot:

35228_1.png

well you dont want a bright or powerful IR as it will just produce too much glare, and the location of the IR will make the difference also, it is going to be alot of work, so whoever is doing the install has their hands full - LPR and cheap dont go together ..

Where would you suggest placing the IR.

Here is a little pic I made in Paint...I think I should change professions.(graphic designer maybe??? j/k )

35238_1.png

Just a quick suggestion, but if you mount the camera on the 'top left' corner of the building (rather than top right), zoom in to a longer focal length, you'll then have more time and more images recorded, to allow identification of the vehicle.

ive used their sirens plenty of times, but i would never have considered using any camera or IR stuff from them ..

We are getting some more high performance IR ill's from china but, because of the Chinese New Year wont have them for about a month.

Yea I will probably passon this prod.

:?

Oh, and there is a 5-100mm AI lens on that cam

This is going to be a problem. I assume that you will be using the tighter focal lengths. If so, then your base aperature needs to be multiplied by the multiplier applied to the base focal length.

EG: 5-100mm lens - assuming your shot will have you setting the lens to 60mm.

base focal length is 5mm, so divide 60 by 5. you have a multiplier of 12.

Assuming your aperature (f stop) is say, 1.3, then your minimum aperature is 15.6! This is part of why your picture is black! Even adding the IR wont get the best bang for you buck because you are using a varifocal lens.

Suggestions to remedy this.

1) find out what focal lenght you really need and shop for the closest fixed focal lenght lens, or find a varifocal that will not have you using most of its zoom capabilities.

2) Get a high res b/w camera with an manually settable shutter.

3) get a IR illuminator that is approx 850nm, and size it to exceed the distance you require by at least 20%

4) tell your customer that this system will pick up 60% or so of the plates.

OR

Check out extremecctv's liscence plate capture system. Its big, its ugly, its expensive but it works 100% of the time.

I am in need of a IR illuminator for LPR. Camera is a Full Body

1/3" Sony, 420TVL. Camera is in a housing 15ft off the ground about 65-75 feet from where the entrance to this place is and where it is aimed now.

I can get this one at a really good price. Anyone have any experiences with these? How do the specs look?

GS-6400 IL

1/4" COLOR INFRARED ILLUMINATOR

60 LED / 45 degree Transmission Angle

12 vdc / 600 mA (Auto-On/Off at 20 Lux)

Includes: Extension Pigtails with M/F Connectors, Transformer and Wall-Ceiling Mounting Bracket

Am I just going to waste my time with something like this. Should I just use Extreme Ill's.

Here is the www link: http://www.goldenstateinst.com/cameras.html

45 degree IR leds be way too wide with that much zoom. If you dropped down to 15 degrees you would have 9 times the light where you want it. Also you will need to experiment with moving the IR out of line of sight with the camera. If you don't the reflector paint on the plate might just blow out any chance of reading the numbers and getting a face shot at the same time.

Also does your camera have a IR filter? If it does it will kill most of the IR.

I used 120 of these 15 degree led's for a night vision project and they reach over a mile on 3rd gen equipment. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7557184005

hi my friend

I agree with most of the guys that you should change this camera with more resolution one like panasonic 480 tvl colour and 520 B/W

you can see the DERWENT prodcuts , they are specialized in the IR illuminator , also you will find decuments on how to chose and install IR illuminators

I'm testing a Vitek luminator right now. 60 degree beam. 115vac. It easily lites up an area 30x40. I'm also considering the extreme 100.........Rory? Any tips on the 100 as compared to the 500? I'd prefer DC power if possible.

30x40 you dont need either of the UFs, they require additional power supplies. You would want to look at the EX26LED which uses 24VAC and covers out to 60' with a 30 degree beam and 20-40% less with a 60 degree beam. What type of lens are you using and setting, to get an idea.