geo_dvr

Geovision files sizes Bloated when its dark

Why is it that the size of the recorded files on a Geovision become really large when its dark. I'm using the GeoMPEG codec. During the day the files are only about 3mb for 1 minutes recording and then when it becomes dark the files become about 130mb!!! Massive difference.

Is there a way to keep the file sizes to about 5mb for a minutes recording ALL DAY not just during the light periods??

dark images will alway use more space than light images. Try using the scheduler with the night only recording apon motion if your not doing so already.

Why is it that the size of the recorded files on a Geovision become really large when its dark. I'm using the GeoMPEG codec. During the day the files are only about 3mb for 1 minutes recording and then when it becomes dark the files become about 130mb!!! Massive difference.

Is there a way to keep the file sizes to about 5mb for a minutes recording ALL DAY not just during the light periods??

Are you running your resolution above 640x480? Because when it gets dark enough at 720x480 it starts pixelating so bad it can cause that to happen.

It is a bug that Geo is aware of. 3MB to 130MB, something very wrong somewhere.

Are you running your resolution above 640x480? Because when it gets dark enough at 720x480 it starts pixelating so bad it can cause that to happen.

It is a bug that Geo is aware of. 3MB to 130MB, something very wrong somewhere.

Small mistake: It goes from 3mb to 65mb.

I am running at 720x576 De-Interlace.

At night the images are only Black and White whereas in the morning they have Colour, so i was thinking that the images will be a smaller size at night!

I don't think it is Geo bugs, large image size becasue of the camera noise during night time, use IR camera will help.

yup, noise, whether BW or Color, will cause it to record for longer or more often if using motion record, and larger file sizes regardless - more pixels in the image. Check recording lengths ... are they all the same, and are you recording motion only, or continuous?

yup, noise, whether BW or Color, will cause it to record for longer or more often if using motion record, and larger file sizes regardless - more pixels in the image. Check recording lengths ... are they all the same, and are you recording motion only, or continuous?

Just tested it again in another place and at 720x480 or the higher settting in your case. The camera's started introducing a lot of noise into the video.

Normally when it is pitch dark at 640x480 I don't have this problem. I have

tested this in the past as well and even if you adjust the motion sensitivity to its lowest level you will still get motion detect false alarms due to the cameras pixelating.

This in turn triggers the motion detection which then creates continious recording to take place.

A tiny bit of light in the area will cause this to happen also at the higher resolution. Whereas at a lower resolution this doesn't occur. Sounds weird, but I have tested it several times and I get the same result.

Try lowering your resolution to see if this applies to your situation. If not, then you have elminated one factor and it is something that is real easy to check.

First check all your settings as suggested above.

shouldnt be the case, I have a few clients recording at 720x480 without any problems. .. i was one of them myself . The video is slightly crisper if anything, which may mean it will pick up any extra pixels that 640x480 doesnt.

Exactly, it will pick up extra pixels. Which if the camera is already pixelating it will make the situation worse. Causing false triggering of the motion detection and causing continious recording to take place.

Everything thing is fine when you have enough light. The camera that is pixelating bad is the one that has a little bit of light entering from an exterior light. Which is enough to cause the camera to pixelate bad where it didn't do so at 640x480.

You can really see a difference in the pixelation between 720x480 and 640x480.

I can let you log on right now and switch the resolutions and you will see a big difference.