chets ls3

BNC to POE convertor (swann dvd with poe to bnc camera)

ok, I have searched and found what I though was needed. long story short I have bought to different balun convertors with no luck:

http://www.staples.com/Night-Owl-Passive-Video-Balun-With-Power-For-Security-CCTV-Systems/product_IM1TW9304?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:IM1TW9304&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=IM1TW9304&KPID=IM1TW9304

I have a swann 1080 dvd camera setup that takes poe ethernet cables. The swann poe/eth cameras are about 250$ each. I wanted to add two additional cameras that were 700tvl. everything I could find was bnc connectors. Well the two different convertors i bought (link above) will not connect the camera to the dvr. I even have power going to the balun, power to the bnc camera and then converted to ethernet.

Im after a couple solutions; either a bnc to ethernet converter that will work. a POE style camera that will work thats cost effective, or hell I'm hooking it up wrong and need the appropriate advice to hook it up.

It sounds like you're mixing apples and oranges here.

sounds like you've got a swann nvr with network cameras and your trying to add analog cameras (they bnc outputs on them, correct?)

the baluns you're trying to use are for using cat5e or 6 cables with analog cameras on an analog dvr

In order to use the analog cameras on an nvr you will need an encoder that takes the analog input and converts it over to network.

You would need an encoder like this for each analog camera to be added

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=145_TV-VS1P

this one is not necessarily supported by you nvr

encoders take the analog video signal and convert it to ip.

first off, you would have to check with Swann to see if there are any encoders that the nvr will support.

I don't see any encoders listed on Swanns web site

second, it may prove cheaper to just buy ip cameras or get a hybrid nvr/dvr if Swann makes one

I just found. 720p swann camera with ethernet. So that will have to work. Not the angle I was looking for but atleast it will work!

Thanks for you're help. Much appreciated