Sign in to follow this  
ANiforos

How do you decide what to call/label each camera

I'm trying to decide how to label/call each camera........use its location or use what it is viewing. I'll explain what I mean.

I'm putting in a 9 camera IP system in and around my house. Lets say I have two cameras on each end of a living/great room. The front door of the house is at one end of this living room. A rear garden door is directly opposite at the other end of the room. I have a camera mounted above each door, pointing towards the opposite door. Temporarily I am calling/labeling each camera by its location, not by what it is viewing. So the front camera above the front door is the front door camera. Should it be called the rear door camera because it is viewing the rear door? I'm just wondering if there is an industry or tech standard on this.

I'm also wondering if each camera is labeled by number in the order it is installed, or are they grouped so that, for example, Cameras 3, 4, and 5 are all at the front of the house, and cameras 6, 7, and 8 are all at the back of the house. I'm just wondering if there is any rhyme or reason for labeling in any particular sequence.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Alex

What about 1-9 that seems logical.

Make a layout print map and impose the views to have near the DVR or NVR so you can relate it to the camera view.

I have a problem deciding what color to paint my fence, now thats a real problem.

I always label the camera by what it's viewing.

In a residential setting, it's easy enough to keep track of the cameras if troubleshooting is needed.

In commercial settings where you may have 50, 100 or more cameras, I set the device name based on where it is and what it's viewing and then a simple overlay text on what the view is.

You can also mark each camera in an inconspicuous spot with a ptouch label of the last octet of the devices ip Adress. Just for troubleshooting purposes.

I use location along with direction (N, S, E, W). That's because there may be several cameras in one location. By adding direction, I can say "Front North camera" Or Front South camera".

I don't know what industry standards are, but years ago I worked as a system admin and at one place built up a large data center. Cables were always labeled with aisle/rack and possibly slot numbers, which made following cables from other equipment easy.

I think labeling the cables by their physical location makes sense. Certainly, if you need to follow it for replacement it will be clear where it goes. Then, in the DVR/NVR, label the actual image with what the camera is showing.

Brent