Sign in to follow this  
ANiforos

indoor vs. outdoor cat5e for a covered outdoor porch

I'm wondering if it is ok to use the indoor cat5e cable that came with my system on an outdoor covered porch. The cable will be run along the top of a wooden beam, out of the sun, and out of the elements. I have some outdoor direct burial cat5e, but I am saving it for two fairly long runs outdoors. I don't want to use the outdoor cable and then not have enough for the outdoor runs. During the summer, temps reach in the middle 90's, and winter temps reach as low as low 20's and sometimes in the low teens for a few nights.

Again, thanks for any insight.

Alex

You should be ok running those cables as long as they're out of the sun and elements.

You will not have any issues. I have "indoor" rated cable running outdoors for 10 years, uncovered exposed with ZERO problems. As usual always use good quality solid copper cable.

Thanks so much for the info. I ran some cable to the front porch yesterday and feel very comfortable that it will be fine.

Thank you all again for your comments and suggestions.

I do have another question relating to my connections which are outside, but under a covered porch, out of the sunlight and out of the rain. The wiring which comes out of the cameras is terminated with the female end of the Cat5e . My cable run is terminated with a RJ45 end, and the RJ45 plugs into the female end at the camera. Should I wrap this connection with anything to keep the moisture out, such as some plastic food wrap, or regular old black electrical tape? I'm just thinking the moisture in the air will not be good for these connections.

Again, any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Alex

I don't think it would hurt to do it.

I usually wrap connections if even to just keep them tightly connected