Sign in to follow this  
robotics6132

HELP WITH NIGHT VISION QUALITY

Hello everyone.

This is my first post and my first security system for my house

Its a Swann 8 video NVR Power Over Ethernet. 1080 cameras. Great quality during the day, but night time I am having issues with the quality in certain spots.

2 cameras are facing my driveway and they have a lot of grain (noise) coming from them. DOnt know why. turned them towards other objects and it clears up. Im guessing its just where they are pointed but I need my driveway covered. Any thoughts. NO ARTIFICIAL LIGHTING IS PRESENT.

should I buy illuminators, flood lights for my driveway?? I Attached some photos of what I'm talking about.

Any tips would help

THANKS

pic.jpg.cb45bc3b11bf65d6c60653a03b634bb0.jpg

205352932_stefpic.jpg.365f97245d4fb384f041ed0a0b9a600d.jpg

Can you give us a link to the product(s) that you have here? Can you also provide a daytime picture where the image is clear?

Cameras that work great during the day but fall apart at night are normally a result of a power issue. The problem show itself at night because the camera draws more power at that time (IR board). Can you tell us the specifics on how you're powering the camera as well as the cable type and distance?

Also, are these cameras wdr because if your settings on that are too high, it can introduce noise in the night time shots

Cheap sensor. Bad lux rating.

As far as "NO ARTIFICIAL LIGHTING IS PRESENT" is concerned, that lighting you have across the street is enough to screw up a camera with a poor lux rating. The evidence of that lies in the fact that the camera image returns to normal when it's pointed down.

The only thing you can do is what you already know; angle the camera away from that lighting.

There's really no way to fix what's not manufactured to work in those conditions. They've got a nice picture during the day but you'll have to make some adjustments to the angle to get your picture back at night.

Don is sort of right - it is a lighting/camera quality issue. In your first pic the camera is operating in the IR mode as the B/W pic would indicate even with the light from across the street. That "white" light is part of your problem together with the limited IR range the camera will have. ( you could halve the stated IR range of the camera & end up with the realistic range). It is simply struggling in the lighting conditions & increasing the AGC in a futile attempt to cope. Result - lots of noise. I'm betting that if you got rid of that light across the street then the pic up close would improve dramatically. This is demonstrated by the pic looking straight down. Shorter subject range & plenty of IR light resulting in a fairly good pic.

People need to remember that to get a picture you need light , be it white or IR. There are cameras that will operate in low light & you pay for them. THE main difference in cameras is the low light capabilities which you PAY for, regardless of what the sales material says

The first images looked like they are heavily zoomed in so yes, you will get noise. If you log into the camera directly (not via the NVR)there is a noise reduction setting, turn it up to 100 percent. If WDR is on turn it to less than 10.

Shockwave has instructions on how to log into the camera directly even tough its connected to an NVR.