Mad Professor

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Lens Options

Good day all.

I am sure I am just able to ask something that has probably been asked lots of times, but my searches have failed to come up with the required answers.

As per the topic title I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I, and this is fitted with the 4mm (70-79°) lens.

I can see from the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I spec sheet that there are other lens versions available: 4mm (70-79°), 6mm (43.3-49°), and 12mm (20.6-23.2°).

The camera is working fine, but I need a slightly wider viewing angle then the stock 4mm (70-79°).

What are my available options?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Unless someone else on here has spent some time experimenting with lenses from other cameras, I don't think you have any options for swapping the lens.

Short of replacing the camera or adding another, I don't think you're going to get what you want.

I've replaced a few lenses on the 2032, and it's a pain, but can be done. Search the forum for hik glue and you'll see a bunch of posts.

First off, though, what resolution are you using? If you're running 3MP, you can get a wider horizontal FOV by switching to 1080p, though you'll lose a little vertical FOV. This is a Hik 2xxx quirk; most cams don't do this.

These are the measured 2032 FOV angles:

OEM 4.0mm lens - Hik's original lens

3MP = 69 degrees H

1080P = 77 degrees H

Here are the potential issues when replacing a lens on the 2032.

- You'll want a MP rated, IR corrected lens. A good bet for affordable quality is m12lenses.com (be sure you shop on the 1/3" sensor page). Stay away from the Deal Extreme ultra-cheap lenses, or any lenses that cost less than $10, as the quality will not be good.

- Some lenses have larger barrels at the end, and won't fit in the IR board. These are usually faster lenses (lower f-stop rating). You'll see these on the m12lenses page.

- The camera's a pain to change lenses on. It needs to be completely disassembled, and the lens has a spot or two of glue that hold it in place. These are easily removed with a bit of brake cleaner/acetone and a tiny screwdriver.

- You'll need to focus it while it's completely disassembled, and if the new lens is loose in the threads, you'll need to put a turn of teflon tape or similar on the threads to keep it from vibrating out of focus. Some lenses will be loose, some will be tight. Also, remove the IR board to focus it.

- M12 lenses focus by screwing in and out. Some lenses will need to screw too far in and will hit the IR filter housing before they focus. If you keep going, you can damage the IR filter assembly, either locking it up or cracking the filter.

- Others screw out further than the original and may hit the glass on the front of the case when the sensor board is screwed on. This isn't a problem as long as the sensor board screws go in far enough to hold it tight, but if you over-tighten, you could break something.

- If you go too wide angle, like 2.8mm, you might get dark corners from the camera housing. 3.6mm will give some improvement, but how much will depend on the exact lens. 2 3.6mm lenses from different vendors will give different FOVs with the same sensor.

The real problem is that few vendors supply the specs you need to figure out if it will work, and you just have to order something and give it a try.

If I wanted a slightly wider FOV on my 2032, I'd start with this lens, but no guarantees it will fit until you try:

http://www.m12lenses.com/3-6mm-F1-8-Mega-Pixel-CCTV-Board-Lens-p/pt-03618mp.htm

On that camera, going wider means you'll likely get vignetting, which is really a cool look for some, like looking through a peep hole. My advice is to dispose of it, sell it, reuse it elsewhere and get the ds-2cd3332-i eyeball camera as it can be ordered with a 2.8mm lens. If you prefer the bullet shape, the ds-2cd2632f is 2.8mm to 12mm although not as wide as the ds-2cd332-i. What's funny is I need a dome that can go 20-25mm as 12mm is way too wide angle.