koutsikos

NFS network data transfer

I am using a VPON dvr linux based card (dvr on dom). I tried to write data in a remote HDD. I hooked the HDD unit to a PC (WIN XP based) and i downloaded a NFS server software in order to allow the linux machine to see ny remote HDD. I did the settings as they are discribed to mount the HDD drive to the NFS server, All the above went well. I was able to write data (video) to the remote HDD but I am not able to read this drive eventhough i gave rights to the client (Linux PC) to read and write. Do I have to set up an FTP or UDP server also to be able to read the data? I tried to access the data through the Linux pc and through the web page but I couldn't. Any help with NFS settings and VPON cards will be appreciated. I will even invite you all to Greece for holidays!!!!

You may need to install Samba and use it as a Windows PDC, it sounds to me like you have a problem with user rights. Odd though as you can write the data.

You might also try sharing that drive and then mapping it through it's network address rather then locally. I'm not sure Windows will navigate NFS if it thinks it is local.

(Samba won't work for you, I didn't realize you were using an XP machine.)

Thank you for your help. I finally got an answer from the supplier. He told me that I cannot see a HDD that way and i have to use a NAS storage device from the supported list that he gave me. I cannot understand this!!! basically if the HDD is shared from an NFS server and the machines are into the same network I have to be able to read and write to this drive. I don't thin it matters a lot that the othe machine is windows based because the file transfer and the rights are setted to the NFS server. Any opinions? exept if I have to formate this disk only to a system that is fully understood from the linux machine. Do you know how can I have a disk that is understood both from linux and XP? Is NFS a file system too (like NTFS)

Okay so do you have a linux PC, an embedded linux DVR and a XP machine?

If so you need to move the drive to the linux PC, Windows machines can do NFS (Network File System) but I think they will only read local NTFS and FAT32 drives. I'm not totally sure about it though. Either way I would offload it to the linux box and configure samba as a PDC (is this XP pro or home?).

Also check that you have given your windows client permissions (not just the dvr), did the NFS server software come with a windows client app?