naz

balun connectors with different polarity markig

Hi

What will happen if these balun in the picture with the different polarity marking was connected. (See image) will it damage the camera or simply not allow any video feed until u correct the polarity but won't damage the cameras.

522171619_IMG_20140923_164145222.thumb.jpg.e84f0df9423b9519660ba7eec220c211.jpg

You'll just lose video until it's corrected. There shouldn't be any power running through them that could do damage to your camera unless you wired something incorrectly.

You'll just lose video until it's corrected. There shouldn't be any power running through them that could do damage to your camera unless you wired something incorrectly.

unfortunately at the time i didn't realise there was this labeling error, DVR was plugged in i heard a pop sound, when i checked my cameras all 10 of my cameras were gone.

As Don has said , reverse polarity will simply affect picture quality and cause no other ill effect. The camera only puts out a 1 volt signal , not enought to "pop" anything. You have either incorrectly wired something or your DVR has had a catastrophic failure & fed voltage out to the cameras.

those don't transmit power so it can't have caused that.

make sure ur power supply is correct and u are using 12Vdc and not 24Vac

As Don has said , reverse polarity will simply affect picture quality and cause no other ill effect. The camera only puts out a 1 volt signal, not enought to "pop" anything. You have either incorrectly wired something or your DVR has had a catastrophic failure & fed voltage out to the cameras.

I have checked all my wiring and found that there are no cross connections, the wiring system i use is as follows:

VIDEO

- +

Brown/white Brown solid

POWER

- +

All remaining All solid colour strand

colour/strip strands

The DVR is switching on and all the functions appear to be also working i haven't connected any camera to it to test yet. However looking back at the initial phase of the installation, I ran out of cat 5 cable for one of the cameras.

I ended up using a very cheap cat 5 cable on one of the cameras, although it said cat 5 on the cable. There were no twisted copper pairs inside but thin 8 thin strands the colours were also different no stripe pairs just solid colours i still made sure that both ends i.e camera and DVR ends had the matching colour strands. When you strip them, there are very thin silver wires not as thick as the copper cables in the cat5 twisted pair, could this have a reason for the surge in voltage you mentioned from the DVR.

(looking back it, i think it was a very noob move and i wish i hadn't done it) I will replace the cable. The DVR is brand new I've used the same DVR many times using the same wiring configuration i mentioned above for other installations.

Thanks again for your input..

those don't transmit power so it can't have caused that.

make sure ur power supply is correct and u are using 12Vdc and not 24Vac

psu i used it's 12vdc

That Cat5 cable sounds like junk; definitely proceed with replacing it.

I still don't understand how you could have done any damage to anything unless you crossed video and power.

I still don't understand how you could have done any damage to anything unless you crossed video and power.

definitely going to change the cable, the wire polarity is correct I am still baffled as to why this has happened i wish it was a cross cabling at least that way i would know for sure that was the cause.

The only other thing that i did different on this installation was i directly connected the cat5 cables i allocated for power straight onto the psu, again i made sure the polarity was correct. I didn't use any DC pigtail cables.

131572705_DCmalepigtail111.jpg.d053fa56e85e71a378294db0dd1d7659.jpg

definitely going to change the cable, the wire polarity is correct I am still baffled as to why this has happened i wish it was a cross cabling at least that way i would know for sure that was the cause.

The only other thing that i did different on this installation was i directly connected the cat5 cables i allocated for power straight onto the psu, again i made sure the polarity was correct. I didn't use any DC pigtail cables.

[attachment=0]DC male pigtail 111.jpg[/attachment]

Shouldn't be a problem

pull down one of the cameras and see if it works close by the DVR.