Starfall

Spot Monitor

Hi Everybody!.. I am new to the forum and would like to ask a question which might in some way help someone else with this problem. I am an alarm engineer and have only done the odd cctv install with honeywell domes and dvr's and all has been well. I have installed in my home an ademco 4ch 1TB dvr with a Samsung 3080P and Samsung monitor with hdmi connection. To be honest the quality is superb!... My problem is I have installed an RG59 from the attic where the equipment is down to my Sony smart tv in the living room. I have used the Spot Monitor from the dvr which is BNC then used an RCA to go into the tv ( Video ). I am getting a great picture for around 6 seconds then it just goes blank!! I then put it into the scart on AV1 and still the same...great picture but for only 6 seconds....It is not the cable as I have now run a brand new cable and still the same... also if the connections were dodgy I would get a terrible picture or all snowy. Question is can you have a BNC at one end and an RCA at the other?. Or does any of you tech guys have a solution for spot monitor. Many thanks in advance to all!. Regards. Rob

Try a different TV. Borrow an old fashioned TV from someone. Or you can get old TV's at 2nd hand stores for $10 to $25. Be sure it has an RCA connection on the back for VCR or whatever. If same problem, then the problem is with the DVR. Also maybe you could take the borrowed TV upstairs and try a BNC to BNC and RCA adapter cable just to be sure it is not a cable problem.

They make a BNC to RCA adapter, so yes you can go from BNC to RCA. I've done it many times and all has worked fine.

And beware of new TV's which have a component (3 wire) video connection AND a regular 1 wire video connection on the same input. And it automatically senses which to use - don't have anything plugged into the component plugs if using the regular video connection.

Try a different TV. Borrow an old fashioned TV from someone. Or you can get old TV's at 2nd hand stores for $10 to $25. Be sure it has an RCA connection on the back for VCR or whatever. If same problem, then the problem is with the DVR. Also maybe you could take the borrowed TV upstairs and try a BNC to BNC and RCA adapter cable just to be sure it is not a cable problem.

They make a BNC to RCA adapter, so yes you can go from BNC to RCA. I've done it many times and all has worked fine.

And beware of new TV's which have a component (3 wire) video connection AND a regular 1 wire video connection on the same input. And it automatically senses which to use - don't have anything plugged into the component plugs if using the regular video connection.

Thanks Billy. It is good to know that these connections do work...BNC To RCA. That's a good start!..Also when it comes on for 6 seconds it goes off then comes on after 20 seconds again for 6 seconds...Weird!

Thanks Billy. It is good to know that these connections do work...BNC To RCA. That's a good start!..Also when it comes on for 6 seconds it goes off then comes on after 20 seconds again for 6 seconds...Weird!

Check if your DVR set up to cycle cameras ( cycle dwell time )

On the better quality DVRs you can program a number of cameras to cycle through the spot monitor. I would be looking into the spot monitor programming to see what is going on.

Guys thank you very much! Yes it was the spot monitor on the DVR. I deselected cam 234 to NONE and left cam 1 on. I also adjusted the dwell time to zero. Excellent stuff!. This now explains how it was coming on for 5 seconds then going blank for 15 second as it was going through the 4 channels !!!. I hope this helps someone else here on the forum. Starfall

If you want to build your system just for spot monitor purpose, I recommend to use usb dongle type device which is directly connected to HDMI on your TV.

I am using it on my shop, and ip cameras(ONVIF supported) are linked to the device wired/wireless. It pretty works well on my shop. However recording is not supporting with the device. Previously I used bulky decoders and screen quality is better than usb dongle, but I am satisfied with its mobility and I am able to watch multiple channel of screen as compared to decoder. usb dongle type could be suitable for your system. name is "ipvista". you can google it.