B digital

multiple PC DVR maintenance issues

Currently, I oversee the operation of 12 DVR's in our company. 8 out of the 12 are uniform PC based (mid-range components) systems Those boxes have been running for a little over two and a half years.

I installed all these systems myself and have had pretty good luck with em until about 6 mos. ago. All my PC units were becoming infected with spyware and pop-ups that would run in the background for months before I could get to each location to service them.

I wiped em all clean with a new OS, loaded updated DVR software, opened up dedicated ports for each, added storage and replaced a power supply here and there. Since then, everythings been cool, but in 3 of the units the capture cards are freezing up. About once a week.

I have a hard time using the automatic shutdown feature because all too often a windows service or an update will prevent XP from re-booting. I've disabled IE in every unit which has always been a big help with spyware and pop-ups, but now my problem are card freezes which is usually followed by a full-sytem crash.

A couple questions:

1. On the hardware side- where is my money most wisely spent for necessary maintence upgrades. (motherboard, fans, power supply, com ports etc., etc.) I'd like to avoid replacing the capture cards that are freezing up if possible.

2. Is there a list somewhere in this forum which outlines stripping down an operating system (msconfig) so that the computer only uses the "bare essential" services thus dedicating more processing power to the DVR?

Thanks for reading.

Hi Bdigital.

The "guru" on here posted cctv pc reccomendation's a while ago, here they are.

#1 - Make sure there is no other software installed on it ... besides the DVR software and XP updates/Fixes, drivers for the codecs for the DVR, etc.

#2 - Make the DVR software reboot occasionally - if you want - i set them to every 24 hours just for kicks, though im sure it can get away with it being alot longer as well the way XP works is different from the older 9X OS's.

#3 - Install these 2 programs, put them somewhere like a new folder called Services - CCleaner and Windows Cleanup. Normally you dont need these, but in your case you should run the 2 of these to the default settings:

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

http://www.ccleaner.com/

#4 - The Following:

this is a list of XP services I turn off by default on all PC DVRs, and my own PC. Speeds things up tremendously. I also use Port Filtering on DVRs to block all ports except the DVR server ports (eg. 80, 81, 82, whichever are used).

--------------------------------------------------

Computer Browser (unless network for browsing other computers)

Error Reporting Service

Fast User Switching

Help & Support

Indexing Service

Messenger

Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Registry

Routing and Remote Access

Security Accounts Manager (unless you use IIS)

Security Center

System Restore Service

Themes

Universal Plug and Play Host

Wireless Zero Configuration (unless you use wireless)

------------------------------------------

Additional Settings to Speed things up:

-Classic Windows Folders

-Classic Start Menu

-Personalized Menu off

-Group Similar Buttons off

-Hide Inactive Buttons off

-Remote Assistance off

-Windows Classic Theme

-No Screen Saver

-Turn off all Graphic Effects (use Tweakui)

-Performance on high setting

-Automatic Updates off

-MSN Messenger Uninstall & Disable

-Interner Explorer Uninstall & Disable & High Secu Setting, Cookies Disabled, & Content Advisor Enabled (then cant browse the web)

-TCP & UDP Port Filtering

Also for DVRs

-No games

-No Outlook Express

-No Antivirus

-No Office

-No All-in-one Printers (just the basic drivers)

-No .Net (unless DVR requires it - eg. ATI card)

-No Java Runtime (unless DVR requires it)

-No Adobe Software

#5 - if it still seems slow, after rebooting and doing all the above, you may have trojans, malware, or viruses.

Download Trojan Hunter. Now here is the thing, it will load the Trojan Guard by default, you need to turn that off by clicking on the icon in the System Tray, All you want it for is the Scan, it is free to evaluate, and you can uninstall after if you like. Unload and Turn off Guard.

http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

Spybot S&D - great free software for general Spyware: You can leave this on, it doesnt do anything unless you are scanning.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

If all Else fails, and you think you still have issues, install Ewido, but you will need to disable it from start up, and also make sure the Guard is not loaded, it takes up alot of CPU and memory. Do the full scan, also, check the start up processes. It is also trialware so the scan will still work but the guard and updates wont after a certain period.

http://www.ewido.net/en/

if you see anything suspicious after the Ewido scan and it is still slow, you may need to do an antivirus scan, check out AVG Free:

http://free.grisoft.com/

After all of these in #5, id suggest uninstalling them all and run the 2 Cleaner Cleanup programs above. If you want to keep them thats fine, just make sure they are not in start up by going to RUN and MSCONFIG STARTUP. Nothing but the DVR software should be there.

#6 - Something else i always install is TweakUi - download from DOWNLOAD.com, its free (its the 2nd one that comes up). I speed up the mouse, turn off all graphics, turn off Active Desktop changes, Hide Documents and Favourites on the Start menu.

#7 - I always install Real VNC so i can admin them remotely. If you do this than I could always log on with a password and check it out for you incase you have problems with doing any of the above.

#8 - Lastly, run the common windows Admin tools, Scan Disk, Clean up (select everything on the list - though wont be much left), and finally sit back and defrag. Make sure nothing is on start up once again, except the DVR server software - if you installed Tweak, that will be there also and thats okay. Now installing windows is another topic, i always do 10GB FAT32 and the rest NTSC, and load the DVR software on Partition D: but thats all personal preference.

-----

There are some other cosmetic things i do like:

only having the DVR server Software on the desktop, no recycle bin, no my computer, no nothing but the DVR software such as the Main program Shortcut, Back up, and Search.

In the Start Menu and Programs I only have the DVR software programs, you can edit that via TaskBar advanced settings. Just select all the others like Accessories and right click and check hidden, and drag the DVR software menu items into the main menu, and you can also hide run from the taskbar settings. So basically its just a DVR and thats it.

In Tweak Dont Show Documents or Favourites in the My Documents on the Start Menu, and in the Tweak desktop section i hide the Recycle bin, My network, and My computer (2 of those you can just right click delete on the desktop actually). So basically just some user settings to make it look less like a PC.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, let me know.

Rory

PS. Use at your own risk, i wont be held responsible for anyting ..

but i never had a problem yet ..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the freezing issue,it generally is graphic card related although never take anything as read.

It could be something simple as the cctv card not seated properly, i seen them crash due to the weight of the cables on the video inputs putting pressure on the card.

Hdd's is another favourite to cause issue's giving read / write problems.

It can be trial and error to get the last 3 to work, but they worked previously so it cant be too much wrong.

Ir you can change parts from a working machine to test it could save a few $$$$$.

Hope this helps until someone else comes along........

Rory I have also found out that the DVR's I use Magic Radar based turn off windows update there are a few updates that load the system and draw the resources down until it crashes. The systems we use are supplier built and all ports are closed accept the remote ports. We have had no problems in any of the DVR's by using this method. I know some like to save money and build their own but you only have problems unless you do all the home work get all the stuff turned off and blocked.

Buddy

Yep for sure, thats in the list there with Using Port Filtering and Turning off Automatic Updates.