josalsam

New member help with power supply

Hi all

I am a retired engineer living on the south east coast of the UK. I like gadgets and anything that keeps my grey cells active; recently I have got myself a PTZ dome camera with 27xmag to set up outside my home so my disabled wife can see what is going on outside.

This is my problem; when connecting the dome to the DVR and power supply using a 60ft cable ( power and video) I get no self check on the dome, all I get is 4 of the infra red lights glowing. If I connect the power supply directly to the dome and not use the 60ft cable all is well and the dome self checks without any lights glowing.. Thinking the cable was faulty I checked the continuity and voltage at the dome end; it reads at 12.89v. I checked polarity and all other possibilities. No matter what I do it will not self check when using the 60ft cable even though my meter indicates there is 12v. I then changed the plug at the dome end to eliminate any possibility of a connection problem, still no joy. Connect straight to power supply >> no problem, unit self checks as it should and no lights are glowing.

The adapter is rated at 12v-4a according to camera specs this is what is required. My thoughts are the cable is draining the power, 60ft is some way to push the voltage, could this possibly be the problem.

Any suggestions ????

josalsam AKA Mike

High Speed Outdoor 700TVL SONY 27x Zoom 8pcs IR PTZ DOME CCTV Security Camera

4 Channel Video Recorder Security CCTV DVR HVR System 1TB HDD 4X60FT CABLE

You'll lose ampage over that distance. Try a source power supply for 12v 8amps and see what happens. I forgot the exact loss equation over a cable, but I know it can be a lot.