clayrogers

Unifi Surveillance Camera Opinions

No, I have no relationship with them. Just like I said, I use their wireless equipment and am generally happy with them so I'm curious what you guys think about their IP cameras etc. It will get expensive to experiment with the different hardware so I'm hoping to find something good to work with from the beginning. The Unifi setup seems like they are offering a unified control panel between their different products and that sounded good. I just don't see much info about people using them in production. I do understand your question though. First post to come in and speak highly of a product line etc.

I have some experience with Hikvision an they seem OK. Their software seems kind of buggy to me though. It does the job though so I guess I can't complain.

I'm just new to the security camera/ IP camera world as I generally deal more on the IT side of things. With IP cameras, the two world seem to be meshing more and more so I'm looking at what might make sense to utilize.

UBNTs cameras and VMS are proprietary so once you go down that road you will have to replace everything once you find out your not happy.

Hikvisions cameras are much better and way more options for camera types and mounting options. I would go Hikvison over UBNT anyday.

Hi Clay,

Have you any luck with UniFi video recording? Is their cameras really that simple to manage as access points on UniFi management portal?

I have pretty much experience with Geovision Ip cameras and their free NVR soft. They seem to have reasonable price on their wide range of POE powered cameras.

I still have not used their cameras. I was just curious to get some opinions as I use their wireless stuff.

I think if I had to choose right now I would stick with Hikvision.

As you say they do some amazing RF (wifi) products, but from the ubiquiti forums it seems the overwhelming opinion is that the CCTV side of things is not too hot. I have a ton of ubiquiti products, but it seems the cctv side is not same as the ground-breaking wireless side.

I have the nvr and two cameras running at my house just for the heck of it. I wrote a review a while back on their forum and do not think I made any friends the points

1. as the poster said you are stuck with their product

2. cameras are on the low end of HD

3.nvr has no way to hook monitor directly into the device

4. cameras do not have on board storage they do have a slot but it is not functional

their HD cameras are very costly for the specifications

The stuff does seem pretty stable and the NVR interface is fairly easy to use

I will not buy any more but I do like their other products APs etc