PHOENIX

Recommend me a DVR (there are so many brands and options)

For home use. Need a minimum of 8 channels.

But would rather have 16, 12 or 9.

Would like to keep price under $500.00 with hard drive.

Must be color (some cameras will be color, others B&W)

Must have good record rate (is 25ips / 25fps good, is there a difference?)

Must have motion detection (would like the entire camera view to be motion if possible)

Would like to be able to set the record time for motion detect different on each camera

Would like prioritize cameras for motion detect.

Need at least 72 hours of recording at highest quality.

Would like to be able to set quality different for each camera.

CD-R would be awesome, but I highly doubt in this price range (maybe add it later?)

Would like at least one sound input. Four would be perfect though.

I'm sure I am forgetting something, but off the top of my head those are

features i am looking for. Of course quality and dependable unit!

Please recommend something and tell me why.

If it is worth breaking the $500 barrier by a few dollars for something alot

better please let me know for what and why.

thanks!

I will first say "GOODLUCK" as you will be very lucky to find anything with what you want under the $1200 mark.

I don't normally sell this particular model but I have a source for it. More importantly I wanted you to see what you get for rock bottom dollars. Most security folks on this board will laugh at this model and price as you don't get much for the money.

You should re-evaluate your needs and maybe invest a little more money into this adventure. Often times a single break in can cost more out of pocket than your security investment. Insurance will sometimes offer a discount with security as well.

I would start looking in the couch, car ashtray, dirty laundry for some loose change and try to come up with some more money!

Is this junk?

Its a budget minded DVR. It has poor fps recording, so if you have 16 cameras hooked up, each camera will be recording at 1.56fps, thats worse than a time laspe VCR. It probably comes with a 1 year warranty but all budget equipment will be this way. If you gave us a price, we might be able to tell you if its worth it or not.

Also do all cctv dvr use the same type of hard drive?

Pretty much, I use Western Digital ATA100 hard drives

If so what type and where is the best place to buy?

tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, froogle.com

That unit with the hard drive you want to record at the highest resolution and the frame rate maxed out because its only a 30 fps unit is more then 3 times the amount you want to spend. I get awesome pricing and the cheapest DVR I can get my hands on that has 8chs with no HD, motion tracking, which means it just note the time and date of the motion but pretty much a bone dry unit is more then what you are asking to spend and to be honest I would rather sell you a Time Lapse VCR just because its not a unit I could sell to some body and still sleep at night thinking they want it for security. Let me ask you one question... can you really put that kind of price tag on what you want to protect with this system??

Didn't mean to be so blunt, on the serious side of things you couldn't get a 4ch DVR with a third of what you want for that price. Look at it this way an inexpensive HD is around $125 for a 250 gig on newegg and 8 cameras recording full blast with max res will kill you budget in 3 days and you haven't even bought anything but the HD. If you have a tight budget go with a 4ch 30 fps maybe networkable and motion 80 gb hd and b/w 380tvl bullets for outside b/w microdomes inside, use your TV for monitor and wall worts for power and you will still be over your budget by about double depending on who you buy from and what kind of equipment they sell.

Whats the best deal on a 9ch dvr with motion detection?

No need for remote monitoring, or anything like that.

Just a stand alone unit I can hook to a small tv.

So I take it there are at least two types of motion detection.

1) records only when motion is detected

2) records all the time, but logs when motion is detected.

When you use option 2 you can go through a menu and just watch the

times where the motion was triggered? Is this something that can be

done quickly (daily).[/u]

Yes thats Total recording speed.

Also, the AvTech is pretty much the cheapest DVR you will find.

Its okay and I havent had any issues with it, its just very basic.

Its designed for budget jobs so dont expect the world from it, but

if you dont need network access then its a good choice, unless

you want to go the PCDVR route, then I would look at the

Geovision GV250 for a budget 2-5 channel, or the GV650-GV800

for the 8-16 channel.

Rory

I cant say as its so old, maybe wasting your money. I would personally not buy it regardless of the manufacturer, just because of the age. I doubt there is still any warranty left on it.

Its not like a PC, its left on 24/7, all year long, so it depends. Its second hand so its just risky, it could fail any day.

DVR dont last long? How many months/years of use should you get out of

a good dvr?

Budget DVR's usually have a 1 year warranty, at best.

Name Brand DVR's usually have a 3 year warranty....

Electronics are electronics, sometimes things go wrong, sometimes they work great!

Think of your recent car purchase, how long after its warranty did it last untill something went wrong?

DVR's work their harddrive intensely because they are constantly writing to the drive, unlike a PC where the drive is idle most of the time. So it's the drive that usually goes bad, and many DVR's will require factory service to replace the drive. If Phillips considers that DVR "end of life" they may refuse to service it.

DVR's depreciate rapidly due to the release of newer models with bigger drives and better features. So the value of the DVR your considering would depend on the amount of channels, and the drive capacity, relative to what's available on the market new today.

You never know with anything electrical anymore. I have customer who have had a DVR last for up to 5 years before they had to go in and replace it. The same model installed 2 miles away has been serviced for various reasons 3 or 4 times and is newer. Warranties I have seen are usually 1-3 years for DVR's if there is one for more then 3 years soembody let me know. Cameras on the other hand I have seen up to 10 years, again if there is one longer anybody please post it(I like to keep current). Figure it like this a good DVR should last you a couple years, maybe not with out a service or hard drive issue here or there but long enough to purchase overall that you will be able to purchase something faster with more features and probably easier to use for less by the time its dead. About 3 or so years ago dvr's were around double the price they are now with less features.

Like most people I am on a budget.

I could settle for a good 4-channel.

I already have a 8 channel multiplexer.

I can put the 3 most important camera on all the time,

then have the remaining 5 camers go through the multiplexer

and record on the 4th channel.

How much can I get a good 4channel dvr for?

Not looking for anything special. Motion would still be good.

I will just disable it on the 4th channel. Would like the most

ips possible. I really dont want to spend more then $650 on

a dvr. Whats the best 4ch dvr with motion I can get for $650?

I would also like to be able to add an external cd-r later.

Of maybe a unit with a usb port so I can use one of those usb storage.

Then take it to my PC and email or record on cd.

Also what is the difference in the video compressions?

What do I need to know about these?

Some quick searches turned up a brand called Digimerge and Clover.

Clover: http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&n=0&mt=a&coe=0&oidPath=0:-23542:-23589:-24294:-34203:961025

Opinions on these brands?

Check out the Sams Club warranty too ($39.85)

With a SAMS CLUB Service Agreement, there are no deductibles or hidden fees. All eligible repairs are fully covered for 3 years after expiration of the manufacturers warranty. And, if we cant fix it, well replace it for FREE! This plan covers parts and labor costs resulting from mechanical or electrical failure of the product caused by defects in workmanship, materials, and/or normal wear and tear, including those caused by power surges. We will repair the product, reimburse you for authorized repairs or replace the product by issuing a check, voucher or cash card (at our discretion) when required due to a breakdown, including those experienced during normal wear and tear, which is not concurrently covered under any other warranty, service plan or insurance policy.

That means Ill have at least 4-years warranty.

Edited by Guest

For that cost i dont think you will get motion detection.

Most of them have USB ports now, check out the Avtech 4 channel.

Thats your price range in stand alone with retail pricing.

Its going to be Mjpeg at that cost.

Rory

Rory,

Between the Avtech and a Geo 4 channels...

-what are the diffrence in prices?

-reliability?

-end user friendly?

-set-up?

Just woundering if i mentionned that option when i do a small job (conveniance store,gas station,etc) i usually go with Standalone...thanks

Yeah, its a whole different thing. You get the full Geo software.

The card is cheaper than a cheap stand alone, the extra cost is in the PC used.

Reliability..

I have a GV250-2 in my PC and no problems, i do alot on this PC too like web, movies, test and write software .. etc.

But your PC has to be stable to start with - no spyware, trojans, viruses, etc.

Ofcourse its always better to use a dedicated PC even with the GV250 ...