Sign in to follow this  
aurmol

When viewing 1 channel, sub-streams of other chan not sent?

Hello,

For example, there are 8 channels in the screen you are accessing remotely in the internet (whether DVR or NVR). I understand when you view them together in one page by looking at different channel windows.. the sub-stream of each channel add up together. For example. When one channel sub-stream is D1 and needs 500kbps and the main stream 2Mp. That means since there are 8 channels in the page.. then the combined substream is 500kbps x 8 = 4 mbps that mass be uploaded out from the router and received likewise in the internet. Now my question is this. When you zoom in to one of the channels such that it makes one full screen, what happened to the other channel sub-stream. Are they suppressed or not sent out by the DVR or NVR? Or all streams still send out? Or does this varies with brands or models? Any experiences about this in you machine? I need to understand this. Many thanks.

I can't confirm whether or not it's case by case, but every recorder I've ever seen has been the same:

The amount of bandwidth your taking up is directly related to what you're currently viewing. To use your example, if your cameras need 500Kb/s, and you're only viewing one camera, then that 500Kb/s it all you're taking up (other than the bandwidth need to connect to the UI).

What is the internet technology in the dvr or nvr that is capable of knowing whether to stream the whole 8 channels or just 1 channel depending on what you are viewing. Maybe lower price dvr/nvr just send out all stream even if you are just viewing one page?

But some people I asked said if they directly access the ip camera via internet, the substream image is better than when accessing the nvr connected to that camera and enlarging that channel with same substream settings amidst say 7 other channels (in the background). Anyone has done or read of similar comparison?

What is the internet technology in the dvr or nvr that is capable of knowing whether to stream the whole 8 channels or just 1 channel depending on what you are viewing. Maybe lower price dvr/nvr just send out all stream even if you are just viewing one page?

But some people I asked said if they directly access the ip camera via internet, the substream image is better than when accessing the nvr connected to that camera and enlarging that channel with same substream settings amidst say 7 other channels (in the background). Anyone has done or read of similar comparison?

Now You and Don Stephens have to read about Avigilon HDSM just for fun

http://avigilon.com/products/video-surveillance/overview/hdsm/

Now You and Don Stephens have to read about Avigilon HDSM just for fun

http://avigilon.com/products/video-surveillance/overview/hdsm/

Haha. I actually just watched Avigilon's webinar about HDSM earlier this week.

I can't confirm whether or not it's case by case, but every recorder I've ever seen has been the same:

The amount of bandwidth your taking up is directly related to what you're currently viewing. To use your example, if your cameras need 500Kb/s, and you're only viewing one camera, then that 500Kb/s it all you're taking up (other than the bandwidth need to connect to the UI).

Are you saying that if you view all 8 channels at once.. the bandwidth is 4Mbps? what if the viewing resolution of all 8 channels at once is only 640x480 and each channel (of the 8 ) streams at 702x480 resolution, would the bandwidth adjust to match the lower viewing resolution (such that the 4Mbps of 8 channels become mere 350kb/s at 92x60 resolution each)?