Sign in to follow this  
nickCR

Got robbed, help me secure perimeter

Hello All,

So we got robbed a couple weeks ago, and I had a Foscam PT IP cam, that caught the thief in one position. The image isn't very good but we got a couple clues from the video. I did add another foscam ip hd cam.

Anyway I was thinking about how I can secure the perimeter and I'm going to try out the Ubiquiti door sensors and a motion sensor outside. I also got a wireless ubiquiti wall switch for the outside lights. So the plan is to program in mFi to detect the outside motion sensor and turn on the lights outside. Then if both the outside motion sensor and a door sensor are set off it will notify the security and possibly sound an alarm and flash a wifi bulb in the master bedroom red or something.

Is there anything else I can do or maybe some of you have played around with mFI before and can provide some pointers?

Thanks in advance!

I would rethink and upgrade the camera system if you want to be able to identify the person. I don't think the flood lights that respond to motion are a bad idea either.

My only experience with Ubiquiti is with there access points. I'm not sure how well the rest of their products work, but I'm sure someone on here can enlighten us all.

Was this a robbery or a burglary?

Burglary.

I would rethink and upgrade the camera system if you want to be able to identify the person. I don't think the flood lights that respond to motion are a bad idea either.

My only experience with Ubiquiti is with there access points. I'm not sure how well the rest of their products work, but I'm sure someone on here can enlighten us all.

Yeah same, I've used their .2. stuff which works great.

It's nice that they have an entire suite of hardware/software that provides smart home capabilities at an affordable price.

Taking pictures of people stealing your stuff doesn't make a lot of sense. It may be better to DETER the robbers; help these people choose a softer target.

Edited by Guest

Taking picture of people stealing your stuff doesn't make a lot of sense. It may be better to DETER the robbers; help these people choose a softer target.

That's why I got the mFi sensors (doors and motion), and a wireless switch. I will program mFi to turn on the lights outside which are very bright when it detects motion. That should deter them but if it doesn't as soon as they break the seal on the doors it will sound and alarm and call security.

I think that should deter them, but was wondering if there is anything else that we could do... We have the cameras, and they do help as I hear that they may have located the suspect that we captured with the foscam.

Get a big dog. Post video warning signs. Post NRA stickers.
Cheaper than the dog is a dog sign.

I have stickers on all my entryways warning of a security system I don't have and never did. I've convinced at least two people (one after two burglaries) to put up fake cameras, too (I prefer the real kind, because revenge is sweet, and high quality images after an event are worth something).

Motion detector lights are good. On doors you rarely or never use get the $8 two-pack of GE door alarms from amazon. They are brutally loud and even if it takes somebody only 2-3 seconds to find it that's a couple of seconds they don't want to be there. Or make them wonder wth is going on by having two, one at top of door, one bottom. They'll turn it off and wonder what the heck is making that noise Better of course is an alarm tied to everything. I don't think you need to pay a monitoring fee as long as you have neighbors. Have an outside alarm go off when the security is tripped and no thief is going to ransack a house while 110 decibel alarm is outside.

Lastly, make sure all this works if the power is cut, because that is a fairly regular thing to do (I read stats on it--happens more than I had thought it would). Your camera system can be on a UPS, and the alarm stuff should all be on batteries, too.