Sign in to follow this  
Al Drake

Lost system functioning due to power outage QT518

This is a first one for me so instead of buying a new unit I thought I'd run it by you people first. Here in New Hampshire, as some may know, we had a power outage Thanksgiving day and into the weekend. I am using a battery backup UPS but for some reason this didn't help. My Q-See QT518 DVR was off by the time I got home so no way did I have time to power down. I was gone when the power came back on a few days later hoping it would turn on fine and there would be no problems. When I got home the monitor was showing the power up screen but it displayed the "Waiting" screen and it never got past that. I tried turning it off, waiting and turning it on again several times but it seems I have some unknown problem that has me thinking I'm going to have to replace it. I did read somewhere online that I may have hosed a HDD or firmware. Can anyone tell me what I can do at this point? As far as I know this is not like a computer and has no OS and that's what the firmware is. If I have a bad HDD and I try replacing them will that actually do anything? How can I install firmware if I can't access the system?

Thanks for any advice and maybe I should also ask if there are any recommendations on a new unit?

TIA.

Al